A few tricks to racing SRT-4's

pottsy

Established Member
phucough said:
You must have the driver mod and he didnt.When my 05 SRT4 was stock I raced a couple of 05 GTs(stock)and walked easily.Now that im far from stock....I wouldnt even bother. :burn:

haha. what a crock of shit. Now I know you just can't lose because you have a badass SRT-4, but are you sure they were racing? Stock for stock and given two competent drivers an 05 GT should be walking you.

awdrocks

Banned
Strip last night.

04 SRT4 got beat by about 3 cars to a 03'' Boxter out of the box. Also got beat like 3 times by a Seat Leon Turbo. Then it raced a Beetle 1.8Turbo and got beat to about half track then the SRT4 caught up and won by about 1 car lenth. Then raced a 04'' BMW 330i and beat him same as the beetle.

SRTMopar

SRTMopar.com
Established Member
awdrocks said:
Strip last night.

04 SRT4 got beat by about 3 cars to a 03'' Boxter out of the box. Also got beat like 3 times by a Seat Leon Turbo. Then it raced a Beetle 1.8Turbo and got beat to about half track then the SRT4 caught up and won by about 1 car lenth. Then raced a 04'' BMW 330i and beat him same as the beetle.
Sounds like the dude couldn't drive :shrug:

I just read this whole thread, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the general attidude of this forum. MOst people just say 'it's a neon' and bash away. There's actually a discussion here. I've beaten a few Mustangs around here, mostly GTs (new and old) and I've had my ass handed to me by a random Cobra or two.

When it comes down to it, I'm an enthusiast, like someone said earlier in the thread, and I appreciate every car for what it is. I drive the SRT4 because I wanted to have something that is cheap and easy to work on. (and when I bought it in 2003, it was actually RARE ) I'm making around 280whp/325wtq with the mods that I have, and there's not many! I'd love to get a different car, but I'm holding out for the new Challenger (hopefully with 392ci w/500hp :rolling: )

anyway, just wanted to add that Lucille is one funny cat! :D

Last edited:

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
...i am a proud owner of a 03 Cobra myself, but i am also really upset i lost my SRT4 when i got the cobra... so much so i almost bought another recently... i'm not going to lie... if i ever lost to a Mustang GT that was stock, or even bolt on modded like intake and exhaust i would have to drive at full speed into a wall... so in short... no lying.. never lost to a mustang in my SRT4, although i was wanted to try racing a terminator (figuring i would lose if they had anything done though, my SRT4 only ran a 12.1 because i only had minor crap on it, 3" turbo back, AEM short ram, Forge/Rage wastegate actuator, DEI IC sprayer, Griffen large front mount IC, turbo XS dual stage boost controller...) not going to lie i loved the car... but i seriously would really think twice or maybe 3 or 4 times if i were in a Mustang GT looking to race one...

oh but here's another tip for you if you're racing an SRT4... if you're thinking ti could be a close race, and you're not winning in 1st gear you're not coming back... SRT4's have a really strong 2nd gear... i would always watch people they they have the race won cause they got me through first, but by the top of 2nd i'm always back past them wiping the shit eating grin off of their faces hahaha damn imiss that car haha

SRTMopar

SRTMopar.com
Established Member
2nd and 3rd are both fun. I like 4th until it tops out.. thats where everyone with more displacement always rolls out :( I raced my bestfriend in his SRT-8 300C and we were even until about 120-125 MPH and then he just started rolling away.. I guess I just need more mods.. maybe an exhaust? (yep, still runnning stock exhuast w/280whp ;) )

awdrocks

Banned
We had our regional drags and I have to say there is a fast STR4 there that won its category. Our reginal tracks still use hand held stop watches... its pretty sad. It was not near 12.1, but the stop watches had it at 13.69... I estimate it was closer to low 13's.. I found new respect for these little cars... :beer:

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
hahaha. nice tips... :) I reaaaaaly want to run a cobra up here in the Northeast... so PM me if you're from the area. we'll see how they do.

openaccount

Established Member
PSI87 said:
Hey, I was wrong about something. In theory my top speed should be 171. I actually topped it out last week on a dyno and it started backfiring (redline) at 162mph, so, if anyone wants to attempt winning that way, its not quite as hard as I made it out to be.

So your car says. This is on a dyno with estimated numbers, with no wind resistance or friction from the road. Your car would be lucky to get 140 in the real world.

ilumo

Established Member
openaccount said:
So your car says. This is on a dyno with estimated numbers, with no wind resistance or friction from the road. Your car would be lucky to get 140 in the real world.
WTF are you talking about? Apparently you have never driven a big turbo or modded srt... :sleeping:

SRTMopar

SRTMopar.com
Established Member
or a stock one at that.. I've had mine to 162 (where it was redlined) when it was stock. GPS verification, not the speedo btw. 140 is a breeze. 150+ takes a bit longer (at those speeds 5 seconds is an eternity)

edit: watch this trailer and there's a part (0:34) where you can see my (err.. I mean A) speedo for like 2 seconds.. I'm cooking at well over 150, and that was STOCK. :thumbsup:

http://www.acidplanet.com/components/embedfile.asp?asset=464077|1&embed=1&t=3094

that video was computer generated btw :lol1:

Last edited:

GLHS837

Established Member
openaccount said:

Sorry,open, even a bone stock SRT-4 can be expected to top 150 on the road with no problem. WE've had military owners in Germanyrun the Autobahn with GPS to verify. A Stage 3 car hit 170 in testing. Not only did Automobile magazine verify this, my own sources inside SRT confirmed that the car ran out of room at that speed.

GLHS837

Established Member
openaccount said:
^keep dreaming

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0505_dodge_neon_srt4_stage3/index.html

On winter roads, traction is still slightly overwhelmed at wide-open throttle in third, but the monstrous pull nonetheless squishes you back into the seat as you surpass 90 mph and sling the gearshifter into fourth. SRT drivers have hit 165 mph on the track before running out of room.

My mistake, they said 165, my source was the one who said 170:)

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0212_dodge_neon_srt4/index.html

Second in the New Venture Gear T850 five-speed transaxle sweeps through 60 mph, while top takes you to a governed 148 mph. "The tires, gearing, and torque curve are good for 160," notes development engineer Stephan Zweidler. "Conscious of our buyers' youthful exuberance, we shut it down early."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rformance_coupes_a_team/dodge_neon_srt_4.html

Add to that the fact that this car is the second-fastest in the entire Dodge line (behind the Viper), with a top speed of 148 mph,

Please, trust me here, I know what I"m talking about. I dont brag, my own car has never seen more than 125. But its a fact that the limiter isnt there, the car is drag limited.

SRTMopar

SRTMopar.com
Established Member
shit, I hit 130 on the way to work today. I don't have to try and BS it, I've had the car to 160 a couple times, and 162 was gps verified when the car was brand new, STOCK, over 2 and a half years ago.

PSI87

Banned
SRTMopar said:
shit, I hit 130 on the way to work today. I don't have to try and BS it, I've had the car to 160 a couple times, and 162 was gps verified when the car was brand new, STOCK, over 2 and a half years ago.

Thats kinda extrodinary since most ppl I know including myself topped out at 152-154 stock. Good job :)

Last edited:

openaccount

Established Member
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

All you women trying to make your sissy car seem fast.

KEEP DREAMING,

and quit using shitty ass magazines for quotes, they are there to make the cars look good so the companies can sell.

GLHS837

Established Member
Yqa know, looking back, it would appear your a German car driver, maybe you got your ass handed to you by one once? Usually thats the reason folks blindly ignore facts:) And just go off about the same thing over and over

Here, I got something for you, in case you run into any more SRT-4s:)

buyinprivate_1892_44075011

ilumo

Established Member
GLHS837 said:
Yqa know, looking back, it would appear your a German car driver, maybe you got your ass handed to you by one once? Usually thats the reason folks blindly ignore facts:) And just go off about the same thing over and over

Here, I got something for you, in case you run into any more SRT-4s:)

buyinprivate_1892_44075011

lol... oppenaccount... heres to you.

gay.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread