A Few Questions - Mach 1 with Cobra Swap

Tlayson23

Established Member
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a Mach 1 that has a brand new 03 Cobra motor with less than 1000 miles on it. The motor was installed by ford-licensed mechanics at a ford dealership. The Mach 1's original 5-speed transmission is still being used.

I will be using this car as a daily driver, so my question is... If this motor was installed properly, is there any issues with reliability when doing a motor swap like this? I know that the Cobra and Mach 1 motors are very similar apart from the eaton, but I wanted to ask someone more familiar with this topic before I make a bad purchase.

Thanks alot everyone and any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
I'm kind of surprised a Ford Dealer would even be willing to do that! While I doubt very much the engine itself will be a problem, the stresses it puts on the rest of the Mach 1 drivetrain could become an issue down the road, so to speak. That includes the tranny, rear end, and axles. I would also be a little concerned with the fact that you would have an extra 80lbs. or so over the the front wheels, due to the Cobra iron block vs the Mach 1's aluminum block. Without compensating for that added weight with different springs and shocks, you could have some handling issues develop.

NastyNate420

Established Member
As long as the engine is good i highly doubt your have any problem with the tranny, rear etc! The front shock and springs might need to be changed out for better handling. The are many people with machs that drop termi engine in or do an eaton swap. The added HP or weight isnt a concern on the drivetrain unless you start adding hp above 450 or add some sticky rubber. Some dont like the extra wight of the iron termi block. i dont know it the mach your looking at has an eaton on it. If it doesnt you might want to see what the compression ration of the engine is! machs and termir have different compression ratios.

Tlayson23

Established Member
Thanks guys, and yes it does have the eaton. How much work do you think i would be getting into if I did end up having to switch out the front suspension? Any suggestions on what type of suspension to go to?

I'm glad you guys said something because one of the first things i planned on doing to the car if i got it was lowering springs, I probably would've got the H&R sport springs for a regular mach 1 and the front end would be scraping haha

Tlayson23

Established Member
Does the seller have the papers to backup the work?

I misquoted, a ford dealership did not do the work. It was licensed ford mechanics who did the work but it was not at the dealership. I'm not sure if he has any paperwork or not.

Another question for anyone who knows - The motor has a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty; and currently has less than 1,000 miles on it. I'm having trouble finding out whether the warranty can be transferred to me.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Thanks guys, and yes it does have the eaton. How much work do you think i would be getting into if I did end up having to switch out the front suspension? Any suggestions on what type of suspension to go to?

I'm glad you guys said something because one of the first things i planned on doing to the car if i got it was lowering springs, I probably would've got the H&R sport springs for a regular mach 1 and the front end would be scraping haha

You wont have a problem with the 3650 trans or the rearend if you dont go to the track. I loved the eaton with the 3650 trans. with the 100+ added from the eaton swap i didnt see the front drop any. sure you could just run mach springs and be fine, better yet just cut your stock springs.

Tlayson23

Established Member
You wont have a problem with the 3650 trans or the rearend if you dont go to the track. I loved the eaton with the 3650 trans. with the 100+ added from the eaton swap i didnt see the front drop any. sure you could just run mach springs and be fine, better yet just cut your stock springs.

alright thanks alot this really helps, i love mustangs but getting into motor swaps i dont really know much.

Don't mean to keep adding to the thread, but the motor is just a stock 03/04 cobra motor; and he is running a GT40 supercar fuel pump... I know nothing on this subject but hopefully someone will. Is this a good fuel pump for the setup the car has?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
alright thanks alot this really helps, i love mustangs but getting into motor swaps i dont really know much.

Don't mean to keep adding to the thread, but the motor is just a stock 03/04 cobra motor; and he is running a GT40 supercar fuel pump... I know nothing on this subject but hopefully someone will. Is this a good fuel pump for the setup the car has?

its one of the best pump but i dont think its enough for the setup.. I had a GT40 pump and a BAP before i went to the dual cobra pumps. With only the gt40 pump my car was done at 399HP and thats why i need the BAP. That swap is normal so theres nothing to worry about. If you get it i would take it to a good tuner and put it on the dyno to see what the Air fuel is.

Tlayson23

Established Member
its one of the best pump but i dont think its enough for the setup.. I had a GT40 pump and a BAP before i went to the dual cobra pumps. With only the gt40 pump my car was done at 399HP and thats why i need the BAP. That swap is normal so theres nothing to worry about. If you get it i would take it to a good tuner and put it on the dyno to see what the Air fuel is.

alright thanks alot man i appreciate the help

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Any link? Also i was looking into a new terminator shortblock or long block and was trying to figure out if Ford would put a warranty on it, and even when pulleys/ intake ect are done.

Users who are viewing this thread