A few questions about living on campus...

PSI87

Banned
So I graduated from the good ole' community college and will be living on-campus next semester at a major university. I know a lot of people on here are living on campus or have at one point. What are some positive and negative experiences you've had? I have a few concerns... #1 is security. The apartment type is 4 people in 4 rooms, 2 bathrooms. I'm not sure there's a lock for my individual room though. If there isn't a lock what should I do as far as security goes? I really don't trust people and I don't want to get my stuff stolen. Additionally, as far as alcohol and other illegal drugs... What is my liability towards what my roommates may or may not possess? I’m thinking about getting my own mini fridge and microwave, good ideas? As always, thanks a lot guys!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
PSI87 said:
So I graduated from the good ole' community college and will be living on-campus next semester at a major university. I know a lot of people on here are living on campus or have at one point. What are some positive and negative experiences you've had? I have a few concerns... #1 is security. The apartment type is 4 people in 4 rooms, 2 bathrooms. I'm not sure there's a lock for my individual room though. If there isn't a lock what should I do as far as security goes? I really don't trust people and I don't want to get my stuff stolen. Additionally, as far as alcohol and other illegal drugs... What is my liability towards what my roommates may or may not possess? I’m thinking about getting my own mini fridge and microwave, good ideas? As always, thanks a lot guys!

I see you are in FL, what school??

I lived on campus my Freshman year. First off, I think living on campus is actually safer than off campus. You have campus police driving around, whereas when I lived in an apt, you're stuck with a security guy with a whistle on a golf cart. Second, in my experience, every room has it's own lock. Third, the minifridge is a good idea and I had one, but I probably wouldn't mess with the microwave. Campus housing doesn't tend to be spacious.

PSI87

Banned
BreBar21 said:
I see you are in FL, what school??

I lived on campus my Freshman year. First off, I think living on campus is actually safer than off campus. You have campus police driving around, whereas when I lived in an apt, you're stuck with a security guy with a whistle on a golf cart. Second, in my experience, every room has it's own lock. Third, the minifridge is a good idea and I had one, but I probably wouldn't mess with the microwave. Campus housing doesn't tend to be spacious.

Thanks pal. I'll be going to USF in Saint Petersburg. What school did you go to or are going to?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
PSI87 said:
Thanks pal. I'll be going to USF in Saint Petersburg. What school did you go to or are going to?

I recently graduated from FSU.

Are you on N2S??? I think there are some people that go to USF on there. They could probably point you in the right direction.

PSI87

Banned
I'm on there but have maybe 3 posts. My campus is pretty small, only 3,400 or so people, I've only run into 1 other person that goes there on the forums.

gixxgirl

Established Member
Campus life is fun!! I lived off campus but always hung out at the dorms with my friends. There's always good parties and also quiet times so you can get the necessary studying part done. If I could do it over, I'd definitely stay in the dorms. Too old now.....I'd be one of those "non-traditional" students. :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
PSI87 said:

If you are in the new dorms they just built, they are very very nice! You will enjoy the life on campus. I would suggest getting your own fridge. Most bedrooms will have a door lock. Just play it by ear and enjoy yourself.

PSI87

Banned
FordSVTFan said:
If you are in the new dorms they just built, they are very very nice! You will enjoy the life on campus. I would suggest getting your own fridge. Most bedrooms will have a door lock. Just play it by ear and enjoy yourself.

Yeah the residence hall just opened Fall 06. I'm trying get my room moved. I requested the highest floor avaliable (7 story building.) Where do they put me, 3rd floor... What really gets me is why because supposedly the lower 3 floors are for freshmen.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Personally, I would've wanted to be on the first floor. I hate wasting time going up/down stairs or elevators.

At any rate, our dorms were crummy. I would never really want to live on campus at my school; mainly because everything wasn't really within walking distance and parking was a nightmare.

We also lost our campus police when it went to the City...so that didn't help anything.

Mostly, be cautious of everyone in general and don't be afraid to stand your ground if stuff starts to take a turn for the worse with roommates. Of course, there are some minor things that will generally have to be tolerated.

Get some sandals and a LARGE can of Lysol and keep your own stash of toilet paper.

KYLightning02

Established Member
O man i dont even know where to begin with the good things about living on campus i have had some of the best times of my life there.. i went to morehead state university in ky and we had 2 man rooms so security was pretty good for me i knew my roomate but as far as your room style would go yea i would recommend your own fridge and stuff because some people are just gonna take without asken and not care...but you will get to know everyone in and around your dorm and that usually is fun if you have a good RA drinking should be easy to get away with and anything else i really wouldnt recomend it...but if you are single you will have the time of your life i know my dorm faced the girls dorm and could see down the hall and they saw down ours so lets just say college girls arent so shy and its great because soon after that they will be over to stay with you...just a couple things i figured i would share but most of all dont get caught up on partying so much and make sure you STUDY or you will end up dropping out unless your smart and you have no worries good luck man

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
This is important to me too because I will be going from a community college to a state university in the spring. I applied for the 2 man dorms and the 4 man dorms, each having your own room and sharing a living room. Thankfully there are locks on the doors, the only thing that sucks is the parking around campus. I might leave the Cobra here and take my dads truck...hmm....

txrunsvt

I run fast.
Established Member
Im in the same type of apartment on campus. 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, common kitchen, fridge...etc. Each room has its own locks and I have a mini fridge in my room.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Lock your door. Always.

Sounds stupid, I know, but you read the Police report in my school newspaper and it is beyond amazing how many people get things stolen from them because they left their rooms unlocked.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
txrunsvt said:
Im in the same type of apartment on campus. 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, common kitchen, fridge...etc. Each room has its own locks and I have a mini fridge in my room.

How do you like it?

PSI87

Banned
KYLightning02 said:
but if you are single you will have the time of your life i know my dorm faced the girls dorm and could see down the hall and they saw down ours so lets just say college girls arent so shy and its great because soon after that they will be over to stay with you...

Well that's good news. I'm single and my school is 64% female. :banana:

Hey everybody, thanks a lot for all the responces so far. I'm definitely getting a fridge now; among other useful items mentioned.

u n v kenny

Established Member
PSI87 said:

I travel down to Tampa once a month. I'll be there this weekend actually. Good little ride on the bike.

u n v kenny

Established Member
UCF's off campus site's mostly have 3 bedroom's and each room has a bathroom, but they all share the porch, living room, and kitchen.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
My $0.02:

Definately keep the door locked. Even if you are just running down the hall for a second. The thing I recommend, as far as campus housing goes, is to bring as little crap as possible. Find a good method of storing and transporting things. Moving twice a year sucks. The item I treasured most at college was my coffee maker.

As far as partying, I went to Augustana in Rock Island, and it was huge for frats. I avoided the Greek life there like the plague. It is a huge waste of time (IMHO) to get caught up in all the pledging and rivalry and crap. I didn't belong to any sorority, made lots of friends, few enemies. No regrets. Lots of parties. Didn't study as much as I should have. Find a balance, dude, and have fun.

Cooter9250

Established Member
Tabres said:
Lock your door. Always.

Sounds stupid, I know, but you read the Police report in my school newspaper and it is beyond amazing how many people get things stolen from them because they left their rooms unlocked.

^^ +1 ^^

I think getting your own fridge and microwave is a great idea. If i were you i would lock my door every time i left. It most likely won't be your roomates you would have to worry about; just the people your roomates might have over.

theraapster

Established Member
Tabres said:
Lock your door. Always.

+1. And as long as your bedroom door has a normal door knob, you can get a replacement knob from Home Depot for ~$10 that has a normal lock and key. Super easy to install also. Just be careful that it isn't violating any housing rules.

Users who are viewing this thread