a few q's on v-1 aftercooled setup helpppp

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
alright i have a v-1 t-trim aftercooled on my 98 cobra and im not sure how to do the intake tube with the maf or what kind of maf i need and same with a bypass valve or bov or where to even mount that

im looking to run 16-18psi im using a 3.1 rr pulley 6-rib with a 10%od crank pulley if this matters

heres my questions
i want to run a powerpipe as my intake before the headunit b.c. i see its being done but how will my maf bolt onto the pipe?
where would i mount a bypass valve with running the aftercooler?
what maf will i need to upgrade to? if any?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You run the Maf in the fenderwell on the powerpipe.. You can run a mondo bypass valve like I am, but it's going to be a PITA to mount and then you'll need a custom powerpipe setup so then you don't get maf wash.. here are some pics of mine..

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

SVTPete83

Established Member
does it have to be put after the intercooler?

You mean the aftercooler right? No, it does not have to be after it. But the further your bypass valve is from the maf, the less maf wash you will have. The wash makes it a bit trickier to tune at lower engine speeds and part throttle. Luckily I had a good tuner with my first setup as my bypass hit right where my maf was.

Not to thread jack but most of these combos are close to 17 #'s with a 3.1 and 10% overdrive. I have a 3.33 and 10% overdrive. I hope my tuner didnt steer me wrong and I end up having to change it. I have gone cross eyed reading pulley combos lol.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My setup is a 15% O/D crank and a 3.33'' blower pulley and I'm seeing around 17psi at 7k (Which I don't usually shift at)

also it doesn't have to be after the cooler box it can be between the blower and box, on the box or after the box, the main this is where the air returns to. It HAS to return after the MAF since it's already metered air, the further away it is from the maf the better!

Last edited:

onequicktang

Established Member
if he uses a big red race procharger valve that vents into the atmosphere couldnt he mount it up by the tb like yours or even between the blower and the aftercooler. there shouldnt be any wash if its not recirculating?

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
so the further away from the maf the better so can i run a procharger red race bov in the same spot that ur running the bypass valve

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
if he uses a big red race procharger valve that vents into the atmosphere couldnt he mount it up by the tb like yours or even between the blower and the aftercooler. there shouldnt be any wash if its not recirculating?

It has to recirculate because it's metered air, it's a draw thru setup meaning the maf is before the bypass not after.

so the further away from the maf the better so can i run a procharger red race bov in the same spot that ur running the bypass valve

Yes but if it's a draw thru setup you have to recirculate it because it's metered air. I meant that the rerouting needs to be as far away from the maf when it comes back into the powerpipe ;-)

Non_Sequitor

Established Member
Why are you running a stock MAF with a T-trim? I know it's off topic, but I was just curious. Are you running an aftermarket housing the uses the factory electronics per chance?

Non_Sequitor

Established Member
OP,

Please disregard my last post. I re-read your first post a little better. There are plenty of MAF manufacturers out there. I know lots of folks that have used the 90mm Lightning MAFs to good effect, but there are others that would be suited to your supercharged application as well. What does your fuel system look like?

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
just wondering when i switch to blow thru if i should get a lightning housing of just an aftermarket housing with the blow thru maf sensor?

and i have a 255lph in tank pump and a 255 in line pump with 60lb injectors

Stanger00

Established Member
VMP HPX sensor is what you should use for a blow-thru set up. Nothing wrong with running a draw-thru though and I think it would be hard to find a good spot for the blow-thru meter with the after cooler set up.

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
it can be mounted on the aftercooler itself

but does anyone know if the 98 cobra maf can be used as a blow thru? or will i have to buy a blow thru maf?

Stanger00

Established Member
You could but it will peg and its only 80mm in diameter. You will need a MAF extender for sure. Another negative about it is the huge plastic square bar going thru the middle of it.

Stanger00

Established Member
You could but where will you fit it after the aftercooler? You will also need to mount the IAT sensor after your stock MAF as well since its not built-in like the 01+ MAF's on 2 valve Mustangs.

The meter will peg. It should fit the piping since its 3" so will not be a restriction but there is a huge plastic bar in the middle. You will need a diablo maf extender to hook up to it so the maf can be tuned passed its capabilities.

If it were me I would just go draw-thru since you dont have a lot of room to work with.

shopphotos374.jpg

shopphotos373.jpg

MAF x-tender. The red part comes off and there are 4 adjustment settings.

mafia_400.jpg

Procharger guys use LMAF's or their stock MAF's as blow-thru but they peg and majority have to buy the diablo x-tender. The HPX is your best bet if you want to go blow-thru and run a BOV. To me it sounds as though that is the main reason thats driving this question. The BOV will get annoying, especially, the big red. That thing is loud.

Users who are viewing this thread