A Few Notes Worth Mentioning

Draiter

Established Member
Hello all...

Thought I would share my experience with every one.
I have a 2013 DIB GT500 with the PP...

I had originally replaced all my fluids with Royal Purple after about 1500kms.
I used MAX ATF in the Tranny, and 75w-140 in the diff. From what I read there should have been a huge improvement... Hmmmmm, read on.

So, this week after reading several discussions I decided to swap the fluids out again, car has 7000kms on it.

This time I decided to use Royal Purple SynchroMax in the tranny and Severe Gear 75W-90 in the diff.
I decided on the the 75w-90 after reading several of UnleashedBeast's replies and a couple of PM's with him. Although the manual I have recommends 75w-140 for the diff, UnleashedBeast said that it was changed over to 75w-90 for whatever reason...

Sooooo, drain the diff and fill up with 75w-90. After two quarts, the fluid was still not close to the fill hole. PM'd UnleashedBeast and he told me to use 2.5 quarts or so, due to the larger diff cover in the newer GT500's. I was originally afraid of overfilling, soooooo, in goes another half quart and presto, diff fluid at the proper level. This time, as per several discussions, I left out the Friction Modifier (I have the Torsen diff).

On to the tranny.... Drain the tranny (christ that stuff shoots out the drain hole), pull the fill plug. Put in the RP SynchroMax untill it starts to flow from the drain hole. I found the easiest way to do this was to use the RP bottle with the nipple on the end, cut it back and attach a hose directly to it. Put the bottle upside down, with the hose kinked, up along side the the cat, more than enough room. Squeezed in 3 quarts and then some - not one drop spilled, no mess either.

Everything all buttoned up.

Couple of things I have noticed.
1. The difference between the Max ATF and SynchroMax is very noticeable. Shifting is MUCH MUCH smoother with the SynchroMax compared to the Max ATF.... If you have the Max ATF in there, drain it and put in the SnychroMax.

2. With a change over to the 75w-90 and adding in the extra half quart of diff fluid there is SIGNIFICANTLY less gear whine. I have added a BMR UCA and Mount and prior to this refill the whine on decel around 90KMH was very noticeable, now, barely noticeable.....

Conclusions.

1. Change Max ATF to SynchroMax
2. Change 75w-140 to 75w-90 and be sure to put in 2.5 quarts. (Or, add half quart to your previous 2 quart 75w-140 fill)

By NO means am I an expert on cars, I do know my way around them though, so take this information with a grain of salt..

Cheers.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I already bought Amsoil ATF and have no issues with the trans (very impressed with smoothness stock), but I've had success with the RP synchromax in a TKO600. If I change again, I will try it, thanks for feedback.
My car goes to dealer for diff service for whine tom., if they're going to play ball, it will have FRPP 4.10s by Fri!
-J

sb03cobra

Established Member
From the...

2014 MUSTANG SHELBY GT 500 Supplement

Rear axle lubricant - 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant

without cooler 4 pints (1.9L)
with cooler 6 pints (2.8L)

Not sure why but both the manual and supplement call for the friction modifier to be added with or without the Torsen.

Draiter

Established Member
From the...

2014 MUSTANG SHELBY GT 500 Supplement

Rear axle lubricant - 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant

without cooler 4 pints (1.9L)
with cooler 6 pints (2.8L)

Not sure why but both the manual and supplement call for the friction modifier to be added with or without the Torsen.

Yup... but I never received an updated supplement in the mail or even knew that there was an updated supplement. The manual makes no distinction between the standard diff and the torsen diff.

Users who are viewing this thread