A Few Nitrous Q's, and Where To Buy Near Sedalia,MO?

RiskyRick

Established Member
I am realizing more and more that this car is going to need some kind of power adder to keep me happy- toying with the idea of throwing a Nitrous Express plate kit into the mix after I do full exhaust on my car (75 or 100 shot). A few questions though first:

Where can bottles be filled around here and what does it typically cost? (I realize that I will probably have to go to Kansas City)

How many passes can a person expect to get out of a 15lb bottle spraying a 75 shot from ~3000-5500? 100 shot?

How to best fight the lean spike issue?

Where can I go in the KC area to get a damn good dyno tune for it?

What spark plugs do you recomend for this application?

Was planning on 4.10's, would this be too much gear even on a small shot like this? (planning on keeping stock rev limit since nitrous cars tend to peak early- no need to rev high)

If this was to happen, I would be planning on upgrading to a SVT Focus fuel pump, and would be running WOT, window, and fuel pressure switches.

spike_africa

Established Member
I have a lot of experience with nitrous and on many different vehicles. A little background on my car, it's been on a 125/150 for almost 7 years now. Stock motor and tranny. It wasn't tuned for 4 years on the 125 hit.

My advice comes from a lot of research and experience. Follow my advice and the stock motor will live just fine.

Always run 91 or 93 octane when spraying. You must be sure of whats in the tank when you spray. Not sure? Don't spray till you fill it again.

NGK TR6 plugs, part number 4177 at any autoparts store is the perfect plug. I have mine gapped at .045 and no spark plug blow out problems. I don't see a need for such a small gap like .035 like most say with shots below 175 and cars under 500hp.

Fuel filter must be replaced and something I swap out every two years. They are cheap and it's just a good idea. Plugs also get changed once a year in my car. The daily driver and nitrous use beats them up pretty good.

4.10s with nitrous is going to make first gear useless. 3.73s would be max and what I run on my car. Granted like I said mines a daily driver, weekend warrior.

Unless you go for the larger tank they come with 10lb bottles. You will get a solid 6 runs in before it starts to fall off. With a bottle heat you can get 7-8 runs.

The lean spike really isn't a big deal and is gone quickly enough to not worry. I did upgrade to a SVT focus pump for extra fuel to be safe.

The plate kit does a awesome job of controlling the lean speak. It's a great kit. I almost wish I had gone that route. It's been proven safe up to even a 225 ho shot through the stock manifold. Which is impressive.

Regardless of what people tell you, you do not need a tune for a wet shot up to a 100shot. I personally think its safe even to a 125 wet shot, but if you are new and haven't done you're research a 100wet shot is all you need.

I also think a fuel pressure switch is garbage. I had one, hated it and trashed it. I run a MSD switch and wot switch that's it. I have a fuel pressure gauge for piece of mind, and the car is finally tuned. Did mostly to complete my combo. Numbers below are on a 125 shot with a super rich fuel pill. As in 9.8:1 air fuel ratio. I have since leaned it out and it's most likely in the 390 range and safe. Car runs great on the bottle.

RiskyRick

Established Member
Thanks for all the great info. Octane shouldn't be a problem for me, as I already run 91 or 93 every time (making sure it's ethanol free)- I realize this is overkill, but something about not having knock sensors makes me kind of leary of cheap gas. If I decide that I am dead set on doing this, I will most definately opt for the bigger bottle though, I don't want to be making constant road trips for refills. How often did you spray that 125 shot untuned and over how many miles?

RiskyRick

Established Member
Nice, so probably 1 bottle a month accounting for winter. Still need info on where to get bottles filled in the kc area and cost if anyone can help me out.

spike_africa

Established Member
Yeah sometimes I go through two a month and sometimes I don't use a full bottle for 2 or 3 months. Just depends. Mostmof my runs are just for fun on on ramps,nhighwaybetc.. Just messing around. I also have a second bottle now so I always have one ready to rock.

Users who are viewing this thread