A Few New Shots of the SRT8 and the Speed 6 (Nikon D90)

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Well my new interest is in off camera lighting. So I have been doing a lot of reading on the strobist site. So here are my first attempts at lighting a black car while trying to balance the ambient light.

1) First a shot of the SRT8 without a flash to give you a better idea of the effect that off camera lighting has

3648465124_ba01f34871_o.jpg

2) A very similar shot but with a flash on a shoot through umbrella to camera left

3647660707_be73630865_o.jpg

3) Changing location of flash

3648467582_16c21429dc_o.jpg

4) Slightly different angle

3647663397_8f5ab54503_o.jpg

5) Gotta have a shot of the Speed......no flash was used in this shot

3648470068_be7bdfa8ea_o.jpg

6) Here is a preview of what I am attempting next...its not perfect by any means.

3648470914_9be4eec857_o.jpg

Stevo151

Established Member
hey man nice pics!! i got a d40 and i cant take any good night pics with it... do u have any ideas what i can buy or do to make my pics better? im new with this stuff...

SlowSpecV

Established Member
Stevo- I'm new also but I have a D40 too. If you want good night shots, what I have learned is that you need to have the shutter open for a while to let the most light in. I would post a pic of my car but none of you guys like Spec V's lol.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
hey man nice pics!! i got a d40 and i cant take any good night pics with it... do u have any ideas what i can buy or do to make my pics better? im new with this stuff...

The best thing for you to do is to get a sturdy tripod and a remote to trigger the shutter on the D40. You can get a remote for the D40 on amazon for 15 bucks. Other than that I would just set your aperture to about an f8 and then adjust the shutter speed until you come up with something you like.

Stevo151

Established Member
Abilene06speed- Oh so yor using a tripod... lol ive been trying to just hold it up and take a shot haha. lol everytime the shutter wud stay open and take a pic it wud just come out all blury. with the remote does it allow how long u want the shutter open? Thanks man :beer:

SlowSpecV- Aight cool thanks man! lol i wouldnt mind seeing some pics of the spec V :D

03_SVT

Established Member
The best thing for you to do is to get a sturdy tripod and a remote to trigger the shutter on the D40. You can get a remote for the D40 on amazon for 15 bucks. Other than that I would just set your aperture to about an f8 and then adjust the shutter speed until you come up with something you like.

he can also set the auto timer for 2 seconds. I think it is under shooting mode and there should be something for that.

I see you are doing really well with the camera! I wish I was that good with mine...

Stevo151

Established Member
he can also set the auto timer for 2 seconds. I think it is under shooting mode and there should be something for that.

I see you are doing really well with the camera! I wish I was that good with mine...

ohh ok cool ill have to check that out next time i take some night pics!

03_SVT

Established Member
ohh ok cool ill have to check that out next time i take some night pics!

make sure you have the tripod though lol... of coarse. I got that cheap 40 dollar tripod ,the CX540 by Velbon, at frys.

it is inexpensive, pretty sturdy, and I dont feel it heavy either, for me it works GREAT!

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
digging the charger. I have no idea what you are talking about with the camera pics, but they look awesome.

Stevo151

Established Member
sorry for coming in a taking the OP's thread... lol just trying to get some info. i like the srt8 tho sweet car, my dads got an 07 r/t silver

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Abilene06speed- Oh so yor using a tripod... lol ive been trying to just hold it up and take a shot haha. lol everytime the shutter wud stay open and take a pic it wud just come out all blury. with the remote does it allow how long u want the shutter open? Thanks man :beer:

SlowSpecV- Aight cool thanks man! lol i wouldnt mind seeing some pics of the spec V :D

The remote just allows you to trigger the shutter wirelessly. You can leave the shutter open as long as you want.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Users who are viewing this thread