a few more problems... please help!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
im looking to fix everything wrong with my car, so here it goes...

my turn signal is messing up, it will work unless i click it in place and then it will shut off. i dont know whats wrong with it.
im going to get a brake hardware kit to fix my front caliper rattle this weekend.
i think my tob is going out. im having clutch pedal rattle, and sometimes it starts to make a slight grinding noise when i push the clutch in. im assuming its the tob but correct me if im wrong.
i bought a used tensioner arm to fix my squeeling noise, so hopefully that will be gone soon.
also, i posted another thread about my suspension. im hoping it will get rid of my creaking noise when i turn the steering wheel. i jacked the car up to change the oil the other day and i noticed some of my bushing are either torn or dry rotted so thats on my to do list for sure.

basically my car sounds like it is falling apart and im embarassed to be honest. its a great car and im ready for it to be "solid" again. thanks for the help as usual.:beer:

Fender34

Established Member
My turn signal does the same thing!! I'm still trying to figure it out too. I used to have sequential tail lights which I took out so I think that is messing up with it.. I'll let you know if I find anything out..

98fourvalve

Established Member
Don't be ashamed of it. Pretty much all that are wear out parts. It happens.

Speaking of your TOB. Does it sound funny when you rest your foot on the clutch?

mark23svt

Established Member
When i turn my steering wheel it does similar effects, so hopefully the bumpsteer and the 03 a-arms fix that. Just think of it this way everything you put in will be new again and you still wont have a car payment.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
yeah, im definately loving that its paid for. it is a really great car, it just needs some tlc. i have sequential taillights too but this just recently started happening with the turn signal and its only when i flick it to turn right. when i put a little pressure on the clutch pedal or raise it up with my foot, it will go away. i've heard a real high pitch noise before too and somedays i can just tell the clutch feels different. its hard to explain.

00_silvergt

Established Member
I bet your turn signal problem is the switch itself. That has happened to 2 vehicles I've had. Changed out the turn signal switch and problem solved.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
thanks. ill try to pick one up from the junk yard.

clutch job? i have an aftermarket clutch already.

No. Do not pick one up from the junkyard lol. Buy a new one so it wont break soon! It's not like you are saving $3,000 by buying this used. Save the headache and get a new one. Just take a look at these next threads for your problem. If your problem matches what their problem was, I'd say go ahead and replace the same part.. This is the how-to: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-278/381257-erratic-turn-signal-fix.html
and this is the link posted in the above thread describing the problem: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/257647-defective-turn-signal.html

For your tensioner issue, I say you should have just bought two new idler pullies and replaced the pulley on the tensioner and the idler, so then you have two new parts instead of a not as bad one.

Creaking when turning: I'd guess steering rack bushings. Get solid aluminum ones from MM. Get the centered ones not the offset ones. Do a search on svtp for more info and troubleshooting. There are a LOT of threads on them. Here is one right out of our own How-to section: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...queaking-steering-wheel-when-turning-fix.html

It does sound like your throw out bearing is bad. My throw out bearing was bad when I removed it a week ago. It would only squeal at high pitch once in a great while, and sometimes make a slight grinding/whirring noise. I had to have the tranny rebuilt anyways so I'm replacing the throw out bearing, clutch fork, clutch fork pivot ball, transmission mount, and pilot bearing also.

Sounds like you have the caliper rattle under control.

Let me know what you think. Good luck!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
No. Do not pick one up from the junkyard lol. Buy a new one so it wont break soon! It's not like you are saving $3,000 by buying this used. Save the headache and get a new one. Just take a look at these next threads for your problem. If your problem matches what their problem was, I'd say go ahead and replace the same part.. This is the how-to: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-278/381257-erratic-turn-signal-fix.html
and this is the link posted in the above thread describing the problem: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/257647-defective-turn-signal.html

For your tensioner issue, I say you should have just bought two new idler pullies and replaced the pulley on the tensioner and the idler, so then you have two new parts instead of a not as bad one.

Creaking when turning: I'd guess steering rack bushings. Get solid aluminum ones from MM. Get the centered ones not the offset ones. Do a search on svtp for more info and troubleshooting. There are a LOT of threads on them. Here is one right out of our own How-to section: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...queaking-steering-wheel-when-turning-fix.html

It does sound like your throw out bearing is bad. My throw out bearing was bad when I removed it a week ago. It would only squeal at high pitch once in a great while, and sometimes make a slight grinding/whirring noise. I had to have the tranny rebuilt anyways so I'm replacing the throw out bearing, clutch fork, clutch fork pivot ball, transmission mount, and pilot bearing also.

Sounds like you have the caliper rattle under control.

Let me know what you think. Good luck!

wow thanks. ill check all that out tonight. i replaced both my tensioner and idler pulley already so i narrowed down the noise to the arm but i got a new one to put on so that should be handled. im sending my car off to get the tob changed probably sometime next week. i had the tranny rebuilt not too long ago when i put the new clutch in so everything else should be good.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
wow thanks. ill check all that out tonight. i replaced both my tensioner and idler pulley already so i narrowed down the noise to the arm but i got a new one to put on so that should be handled. im sending my car off to get the tob changed probably sometime next week. i had the tranny rebuilt not too long ago when i put the new clutch in so everything else should be good.

No problem man, I hope you get lots of stuff fixed! I'm in the same boat as you with my car needing some love lol. It sucks, but man it feels good when you get it back to how it's supossed to be!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
yeah, im definately chasing down all my problems. i cant wait until i tighten that last bolt and know my cars like new again. i have a long way to go but it still feels good learning and figuring it all out. im focusing on the tob and suspension problems first, then small and annoying problems and then im focusing on my favorite part... mods:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread