A failed OEM 2014 clutch pressure plate component.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Hi All

Hi All

Changing my oil on my OEM Gt500 with 8,800 miles, I noticed small fractures around the bell housing. Looking closely, I noticed a 2" hole atop the starter motor.

It appears something let go from inside the bell housing.

At Ford now.
A rivet flew off the pressure plate at high RPMs. Looking to hear from Ford today about coverage.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
There is a pic on the Ford GT500 forms in the problems category.
I can't post pics here easy.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Hi All

Changing my oil on my OEM Gt500 with 8,800 miles, I noticed small fractures around the bell housing. Looking closely, I noticed a 2" hole atop the starter motor.

It appears something let go from inside the bell housing.

At Ford now.
A rivet flew off the pressure plate at high RPMs. Looking to hear from Ford today about coverage.

2014 GT500 Bad Pressure Plate.jpg

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Yes stock OEM. I have only a Watts link and race brakes pads. No engine mods.

Pic files are too big for this form.

Snoopy49

Established Member
SCALECRAFT;2432962 said:
Yes, the rouge rivet head damaged the bolts and stuff as it was slammed into the spinning clutch. Bouncing around till a nice hard hit and boom, out the side. Pic attached.
2014 GT500 Pressure Plate Rivit Failure.jpg

Kinda like Bingo Balls.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wow, Ive never seen that before. Ive heard of clutches coming apart from either being an OEM unit pushed at the track or just plain coming apart. Never though just a rivet would do that kind of damage.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
So don't track a 2014 OEM clutch? Then which clutch would have better durability of track use?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So don't track a 2014 OEM clutch? Then which clutch would have better durability of track use?
I assume you track your car regularly? Other than this rivet failure, did the stock clutch work well for you?
Do you plan on much in way of power upgrades?
-J

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Tracked 2 times a year. Not much track time really. Only when around 80 degrees or less.

Tracked as per Shelby Supplement booklet guide lines. 8,800 miles. No upgrades.

Engine is totally OEM. GY F1 tires. Clutch worked perfectly even with missing rivet. Drove the car to Ford. No issues at all. Would work for street use. But not right. Only noticed problem upon personal visual inspection while changing engine oil.

On Friday 8/4/17 FOMOCO was going to cover all parts/repairs, today 8/7/17 service manager said FOMOCO said no coverage at all.. Manager said he will insist FOMOCO covers. I have a case open with FOMOCO customer care that I can escalate, but Manager said hold off on that option till he talks to them again.

My friend tracked a 14 500 with around 750hp on the OEM clutch, way more than me. Never a clutch failure. He had 17,000 miles on his. Sold his, got a older Z06.

fearthesnake

Established Member
How long is the clutch covered under warranty if no extended plan is purchased? 3 years? Are you passed that point yet?

Snoopy49

Established Member
How long is the clutch covered under warranty if no extended plan is purchased? 3 years? Are you passed that point yet?

Clutch lining is not covered under warranty. But that is the only mention in the warranty manual. Powertrain is covered 5 year 60,000 miles.

Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts;

Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints;

Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

2014 Mustang Warranty Guide 2.pdf

Attachments

• 2014 Mustang Warranty Guide 2.pdf
    770.8 KB · Views: 161

Users who are viewing this thread