A/F Ratio Numbers

shey love

Established Member
I rescently purchased a Densecharger 6in CAI and changed mufflers. Besides that I'm stock. I was told by John DeMolet that I might run a little lean so on his recommendation I purchased some Denso IT-20 plugs that are 1 heat range colder to help richen it up. I am going to the dyno on Tuesday for the 2nd time to see how these changes affect it over the stock pull. I have not istalled the plugs yet, I want to see what the A/F readings are 1st.

My question is what is a sweet A/F ratio for are cars? Thanks Shey.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
With Pulley and chip, 11:5-11:9 AF...Without added boost from smaller pulley... I would think somewhere between 12:0-12:5 AF

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The first number is air, 2nd is fuel (12:1)...12 parts air to 1 part fuel etc.... The more parts air/fuel=leaner.....

shey love

Established Member
My 1st dyno run posted a 393.5 rwh but I didn't get an A/F ratio because I thought I was going to leave it stock. That didn't last. So If I am in between 12:0 and 12:5 leave it. If I am in the 11's then change to colder plug correct. What do you think is border line to lean. Shey.

shey love

Established Member
Sorry guys I meant if it reads in the high twelves or 13's then switch to colder plug. Shey.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If your in the high twelves, mid to low thirteens...Your too lean. A colder plug (shorter insulator will not help) Colder plug will help with misfires and detonation, not AF. You may ultimately require a tuned chip to correct the AF. It is somewhat normal with the factory tune for these cars to be alittle lean at low RPMS and pig rich at high RPMS...I would be concerned with a high AF at the big end, say 3500/4k rpms - 6K Rpms you would want to see the AF around 11:9-12:1 ideally.....

shey love

Established Member
Thanks D, I will post a new thread with the new #'s after I get back. Hopefully nothing is to lean and I can just leave it. Thanks for the other related info. Shey.

Users who are viewing this thread