A/F ratio gauge and O2 sensor location

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Was just curious if anyone had any experience with the AutoMeter air/fuel ratio gauge on an 03' Cobra. What I was curious about was if I could use the stock rear o2 sensor bungs and/or sensors to drive the gauge. I have off road pipes so there are no cats to mess up the reading. I was wondering if the sensors would stay hot enough even with the heaters. (Have MAC off road Pro Chamber with the stock o2 sensors installed and plugged in even though they are disabled via my Predator).

Also, if there are any scientists out there: Do the o2 sensors actually measure the oxygen content of the exhaust stream or are they basically calibrated pyrometers?

Any info would be appreciated.................Thanks. :shrug:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I am definitely NOT a scientist, but I can say that it is not worth it to run an a/f gauge off of the stock 02 sensors. They will not be reliable. Its pretty much pointless.

If you want real time a/f you need a wideband 02 sensor. I am ordering the LM-1 wideband.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
I am definitely NOT a scientist, but I can say that it is not worth it to run an a/f gauge off of the stock 02 sensors. They will not be reliable. Its pretty much pointless.

If you want real time a/f you need a wideband 02 sensor. I am ordering the LM-1 wideband.

Thanks. Info on where to buy would be appreciated...........:burnout:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html

This is web site for LM-1, which is great unit.

O2 sensor actually measures O2 content of exhaust by comparing it with ambient air. Innovative Motorsport web site has great explanation for how it works.

Rear bung should be fine for a heated sensor. Only question is whether you want sensor before or after X or H pipe crossover (rear bung is behind I think).

Users who are viewing this thread