A/F Questions...

nuxx

Established Member
Which of these two A/F ratios is more desirable?

afcomp.jpg

1. Is how my current tuner tunes cars.
2. Is how I see many 03-04s tuned, and this graph is from my friends' 03, which makes great power and feels more responsive than mine.

Today while trying to get my car tuned, I asked why he tuned cars so lean in the lower RPM range. He told me it was too keep torque high. I told him that most 03-04s I saw dropped right to < 12/1 as soon as they are floored. I convinced him to try this and low and behold my torque was the same.

He let off cause the car was getting too rich. He was going to try and tune it like that, then ran into a problem where the car wouldn't start... he than ran out of time and put my original tune back on.

This tuner seems to turn out 03-04 Cobras that have the correct torque number for their mods, but horsepower seems to be on the low end by 20-30 hp.

Just my thinking, but maybe running such a lean condition in lower RPM produces much hotter air, and makes our already inefficient blowers even worse in the higher RPM band where peak horsepower is reached. Even more so on Eatons with 2.80s, or in my case 2.80s and a lower pulley.

My car was making 491rwhp / 525ftlbs today with an AF similar to #1. When he tried to make it more like #2, it made 523ftlbs, and about 10 more rwhp at 4.5k, where he shut down due to becoming pig rich.

What are your thoughts on this?
-Peter

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
How much timing is this guy tuning with? one degree of timing is worth about 10rwhp. There are tuners who don't add timing, which doesn't give the great numbers, but will be safer.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
How much timing is this guy tuning with? one degree of timing is worth about 10rwhp. There are tuners who don't add timing, which doesn't give the great numbers, but will be safer.

Said it varies from 21 to 23 degrees along the RPM range.
-Peter

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I'd say the A/F on graph #2 is better than #1, although personally, I'd prefer somewhere around 11.5:1.

I had mine meas'd after the first cat and was a few tenths over 12. If I take off 0.5 for the cats, I'm probably a little under 12. (I really wish I would have seen where the guy was going to weld in the bung before he did it, then I wouldn't have to guess!)

Total timing in my tune is 22, as commanded.

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
Nucc my tune is lean down low and it was the same way with the 2.80 only and my car made some great numbers. As far as your AF now with the 2lb lower what is the AF after 5800 up to say 6300

Users who are viewing this thread