A Different CAI Approach

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I am not debating whether or not the OEM intake is efficient. That debate has been beat to death. I agree, Ford did a great job.

While looking at fender well mounted cold air intakes, a thought crossed my mind in regard to design.

My understanding is that the MAF does not like the turbulent air produced by the multiple angles in the design of fender mounted CAIs. Most of these intakes are designed to have the MAF screen removed. In my mind, this is a step backwards while gaining ambient air temps. Even with the proper tuning, you will receive erratic air flow. Now you are losing HP, and risking the A/F ratio, while possibly destroying an engine.

In regard to squeezing out every last ounce of power, I agree that ambient air is better. If you can pull this air from the wheel well, great. The further away from any heat source, the better.

My question revolves around keeping the air filter mounted in line with the MAF. The air needs to be filtered, so why not design an intake thay places the filter inside of the tube, providing the straight line of air, while also retaining the MAF screen? An air pick up tube could then be placed before the filter to retrieve ambient air.

I can't imagine that I am the first to have this idea. I'm simply curious as to why no tuners or engineers are using such a design.

Yes, it is Monday, and I have free time to think.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GodStang

Established Member
Depends on what your setup is designed for. If I understand you correctly that setup would be fine for a N/A car but on high boost cars where you need a bigger really high flowing filter sticking it in a tube would be very restrictive.

Many guys run the Ram air with the filter blocked off from engine bay and head light removed or modified to have a hole. The system is a straight line with MAF, blocked off from engine temps and rely on cool air being "rammed" in from outside.

I am not debating whether or not the OEM intake is efficient. That debate has been beat to death. I agree, Ford did a great job.

While looking at fender well mounted cold air intakes, a thought crossed my mind in regard to design.

My understanding is that the MAF does not like the turbulent air produced by the multiple angles in the design of fender mounted CAIs. Most of these intakes are designed to have the MAF screen removed. In my mind, this is a step backwards while gaining ambient air temps. Even with the proper tuning, you will receive erratic air flow. Now you are losing HP, and risking the A/F ratio, while possibly destroying an engine.

In regard to squeezing out every last ounce of power, I agree that ambient air is better. If you can pull this air from the wheel well, great. The further away from any heat source, the better.

My question revolves around keeping the air filter mounted in line with the MAF. The air needs to be filtered, so why not design an intake thay places the filter inside of the tube, providing the straight line of air, while also retaining the MAF screen? An air pick up tube could then be placed before the filter to retrieve ambient air.

I can't imagine that I am the first to have this idea. I'm simply curious as to why no tuners or engineers are using such a design.

Yes, it is Monday, and I have free time to think.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
You are correct. I was referring to N/A engines. The amount of tubing needed would be a hindrance to a supercharger or turbo(s). Forced induction takes me down a different path of thought. I will save that for later though.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
OK, after multiple sketches I have found what would likely be an effective system designed in the manner I described. The cost vs gain is not worth the build though.

When things settle on my end I may experiment and build a prototype. I don't see my idea doing anything more than the OEM intake.

noldevin

Established Member
I think the reason they don't put the filter in the tube is probably surface area. These tubes are no bigger than 5" diameter, most much smaller. That just isn't much filter area, and would be a huge restriction compared to a big cone filter. You would probably lose far, far more power from the tiny filter than you would gain from some IAT reduction.

IMO, on the coyote, most of the aftermarket intakes are more of a high flow intake than a cold air intake.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I think the reason they don't put the filter in the tube is probably surface area. These tubes are no bigger than 5" diameter, most much smaller. That just isn't much filter area, and would be a huge restriction compared to a big cone filter. You would probably lose far, far more power from the tiny filter than you would gain from some IAT reduction.

IMO, on the coyote, most of the aftermarket intakes are more of a high flow intake than a cold air intake.
This is some of what I realized after my sketches. It could be made to work using a cone filter, but the forward tubing would need to be massive, and in the end, provide little to no profitable gain.

Users who are viewing this thread