A cure to the dreaded clutch stall

silverserpant

Established Member
So periodically my car would stall out after a clutch application slowing down to a stoplight or even holding down the clutch too long between shifts. Became real annoying and difficult to pin down to the problem.

After doing all of the tps voltage checks and all the other normal routines posted on all the forums I had to go outside the box and tried a few different things and found a solution that has cured my problem and may help some others.

First thing to check to see if your problem is the same as I had, while the car is idling and at running temps unplug your IAC valve and see where your idle goes to. My car dropped to about 300 rpm and I believe the issue lies in the IAC doesnt have enough time to correct the low idle before it stalls.

The process I took to adjust everything to work was

1. Unplug the Iac and read what the Throttle body itself is idling at.

2. Shut the car off and and turn the TB adjust screw located underneith the throttle cable linkage counter clock wise to extend the screw against the stop. Do not turn the screw very far as a little can go a long way and this step is easily repeatable.

3. Restart the car and make sure you have not exceeded the cars commanded rpm range set in your tune.

4. unplug the Iac again and check what the idle rpm goes to. I have had great success so far having the rpm set 50-100 rpm less on the TB than on the IAC controlled rpm.

5. Once you have achieved the idle you desire you need to check your TPS voltage to make sure that the new voltage is in between .95 and .99 volts. With the harness plugged into the sensor you will be probing the bottom and middle wires. I find that bobby pins or paper clips cut in half easily slides down the wire to back probe the sensor without damage to the wires.

6. Once you have everything set up where it is running good, unplug the ground from the battery for 20 mins and I prefer to turn the headlights on at the same time to draw out charge and reset the PCM quicker.

7. Reattach battery and start the car and run up to temperature and you should notice that the small idle surges are gone and that dreaded clutch stall has disappeared.

I am not positive but it seems as though when my blower was shipped that the TB linkage stop was bent away from the stop but for sure the previous owner turned the screw all the off the stop leaving the IAC to compensate for the full idle.

I hope this helps out some guys with this issue with the clutch stall as it is a pain in the ass and hard to diagnose as you cannot see the screw underneath the TB.

silverserpant

Established Member
No need to have a tune revision as it is a mechanical error. 95. Percent of the time the IAC will keep upwith the high demand needed but the other 5 percent it will just stall out. When the tb blades are allowed to go fully closed it usually kills the motor after a little spirited driving when the vacuum in the motor really increases.

I had problems the whole time on my ported tb, then when I switched to a dragon it happened at first then I did this proceedure and it cured it. Then I had a lean condition in closed loop so I had to pull the plugs to see what they were like so I needed to remove the dragon to get to the right side plugs. There was a chance of a vaccuum leak so I tossed the stock tb and plenum back on and the stall returned. Spent a hour by my self dialing it in and the stall and hunting idle is. Gone. My lean condition ended up being that I blew the front 02's sensors being shot but not enough for a code.

mi03cobra

Established Member
hmm, thats nice to know. I had a stall issues that sounded just about the exact same as youre describing, and my tuner couldnt figure it out over 4 times trying to tune. Needless to say he no longer tunes my car. I did end up finding a good tuner and he got it figured out. My issue was also the fuel trim was 15% off due to the other tuners inadequacies.

silverserpant

Established Member
My fuel. Trims are both in great shape. Even when the 02's were acting up causing a 17 a/f. At idle the correction was still only 10 percent. Rick at amazon tried a few different things but you can't tune around a mechanical issue.

Just thought this may help some guys as it seems to come up a lot with the decel stall

gsxr03_600

Established Member
I had the same issue. Took the car back to my tuner and he fixed the problem. He said he turned the Hard Stop up and also turned the idle up. The car was idling around 1500-1600 rpms after he did this and he said after a couple times driving around the car would start idling around 750-800 rpms. He said the car has to learn this and would take about 75-100 miles. Every time I took her out the rpms would go down each time. Sure enough after about 100 miles no more stalling and perfect idling. And sitting in ATL traffic and your car stalls can suck. This resolved my issues and i've drove about 1k since this with no stall issues. Hope this helps somebody.

Users who are viewing this thread