A/c ???

svtmiami

Established Member
My dads 98 GT A/C has gone out... All it does is blow HOT ...Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? I it typically the compressor or a pressure switch that goes out on Mustangs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

97cobraheaven

Established Member
could be a number of things.

I know when I first got my car I changed out something in the passenger fender, cant remember what it is called. Well that wasnt the problem

When I turned the knob from off to Max the compressor would kick in for about 20 seconds and blow ice cold then kick off. Turned the knob to off then back on and it would kick the AC back on...

I have a bad switch, was simple as that.

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
In the old days, you could just check for power at the compressor but since we have a CCRM, I think the PCM will not send power there unless it meets a few parameters. Not sure though.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
The PCM will keep the AC off if it thinks the PSI is to high or to low. If you can data log ACP V PID should be less than 4.2 V. If WACF PID is yes then the PCM sees a fault in the system and will show a P1460 and that would be with the CCRM. The system also has a WOT cutoff relay that if could cause a problem. Not sure this is of much help. You would need to check for 12V to the compressor clutch if you can not data log. The 12v goes thru the A/C high pressure switch, the WOT A/C cut-off relay and the A/C clutch relay before getting to the AC Clutch.

elcobrita

Established Member
The PCM will keep the AC off if it thinks the PSI is to high or to low. If you can data log ACP V PID should be less than 4.2 V. If WACF PID is yes then the PCM sees a fault in the system and will show a P1460 and that would be with the CCRM. The system also has a WOT cutoff relay that if could cause a problem. Not sure this is of much help. You would need to check for 12V to the compressor clutch if you can not data log. The 12v goes thru the A/C high pressure switch, the WOT A/C cut-off relay and the A/C clutch relay before getting to the AC Clutch.

:eek:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Simple things first: find the fuses for the ac system. Are they good? If you replace them, do they work, or do they open again?

Open the hood, turn the ac on. Do you see the compressor run?

Most climate control systems in cars have a selector in the vent system to route heat from the heater core. Can you tell if it is working?

Done any work under the hood lately? If so, is there any chance you cut or pinched a wire? Don't laugh, I work on electro-mechanical equipment for a living, and I can't tell you how many times I inadvertently have done the same thing.

Jim Snover

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
disconnect the low side switch, put a jumper wire in the connector pins. if the compressor come on, and still blows hot, your out of freon/have a leak. if it does blow cold, you have a switch/eletrical problem somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread