A/C woes

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
Its way too hot this week to be having this problem! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

was driving this Cobra the other day and half way through my drive...poof... no more cold air. Ever since then I am getting no cold air at all, not even a little bit when first starting the car. The AC system sounds like its trying to work when it is switched on like it normally would.

Where to start with this? Would it be worth it to go buy one of those A/C refill bottles they sell at Pepboys/AutoZone?

Oceanside78

Established Member
You're going to get negative responses with that here, but I did it and it worked great. Blows cold with no issues. Yeah it's a cobra, but it's still a 15+ year old ford, not Ferrari. I don't see the point in spending 200+ on an issue that a $30 can of refrigerant can fix

bergz22

Established Member
Is the compressor clutch engaging? I.e. Can you see the pulley spinning? Is it staying engaging or clicking on and off fast?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
At +/-15 years of age I'd give it a shot of refrigerant.

Knock-on-wood: SNAKEYE still makes lovely cold.

Last edited:

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Low pressure switch, jump the switch & compressor should turn on. If it just all of a sudden quit working that is probably what it is. Least that was the case in my 97 $13 part & 2 minutes to fix.

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
UPDATE:

the clutch engages but turns off real quick after only a couple revolutions. it does this 3 or 4 times before it appears to give up and it stays stationary

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
First step check clutch engagement if working, next step check you pressure it might be low, if that's not the problem check the pressure switch. I think it's either your pressure switch or low freon.

stanggirl14

Established Member
sounds like low refrigerant to me, I have to put a can or two in mine every year (changed the condenser and it's leaked ever since) and if it's low mine cycles like yours. If you get a can that comes with the gauge you'll be able to tell if it's low or not.

4vRedone

Banned
that stuff you buy at autozone isnt good its not pure refrigerant. Its mixed stuff and mix refrigerant is bad for a a/c system.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Manifold gauge set will tell you whats going on, quit shooting from the hip. Gl op! :beer:

Oceanside78

Established Member
OP, had the exact same issue, bought the big can off R134 super cool, filled it, it cycled on and off, added more, works now. Blows very cold, no issues.

4vRedone

Banned
I think you should just use r134a with the right guage and machine at a shop i know its more but the stuff thats "quick and easy" isnt worth the money when your a/c stops working a year from now its not a pure system therefor it wears out fast and contaminates the system. Youll probably need a little pag oil as well.

Users who are viewing this thread