A/C woes with killer chiller

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys my 03 cobra I got recently doesn’t have cold air coming out of the a/c so I decided to take it to a repair shop. It has a killer chiller but that’s all I know since I bought it. I also could tell the lines were moved a bit since it has a fluidyne radiator.
Well the shop called me and told me he put refrigerant and a blue dye that he couldn’t see any leaks. But after two days it got warm again (felt less cold). So he says he needs to check condenser but heat exchanger is in the way and he hopes it’s not the evaporator. After reading I’m truly hoping it’s not the evaporator also so what are my chances that it’s the evaporator? When he added the Freon it worked for two days then again lost freon. I really don’t want to mess with a dash with a 45k mile car. Any symtoms that let you know it’s an evaporator? Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would say to look and see if he still has a page up talking about how to charge a system with a killer charger. There was an industrial refrigerant they recommended and there was also a charge level to maximize either in cab cooling or intercooler cooling. Either way can cooling will suffer a tad unless it’s a race kit that has a valve which basically you get full cooling to can and none to the intercooler or none in the cab and full cooling to the intercooler

I sold my lightning a long time ago so not sure what may have changed on those systems

Should be several threads here on it as well

mark23svt

Established Member
I don’t think it has and yeah the system seems to be a problem maybe and he has never worked on a car with a killer chiller. You guys think it would be best to remove the killer chiller and run just normal lines?

mark23svt

Established Member
Also I never wanted one and now I realize why lol. I don’t drag the car so for me it’s not needed I just thought maybe a simple fix for now would suffice until I can remove the killer chiller. Just pray it ain’t the evaporator.

mark23svt

Established Member
Pulled my kc off awhile back and sold it for that reason. Definitely kept intake temps down but I got tired of the ac suffering. It would cool ok till I did a half throttle pull then it was over with.
Did you just need new a/c lines or any more parts?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Did you just need new a/c lines or any more parts?
It’s been so long but I think this is the only line that gets replaced with the kc. If you don’t have it you’ll definitely need it.

Attachments

• IMG_6851.jpeg
    IMG_6851.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 41

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Hey guys my 03 cobra I got recently doesn’t have cold air coming out of the a/c so I decided to take it to a repair shop. It has a killer chiller but that’s all I know since I bought it. I also could tell the lines were moved a bit since it has a fluidyne radiator.
Well the shop called me and told me he put refrigerant and a blue dye that he couldn’t see any leaks. But after two days it got warm again (felt less cold). So he says he needs to check condenser but heat exchanger is in the way and he hopes it’s not the evaporator. After reading I’m truly hoping it’s not the evaporator also so what are my chances that it’s the evaporator? When he added the Freon it worked for two days then again lost freon. I really don’t want to mess with a dash with a 45k mile car. Any symtoms that let you know it’s an evaporator? Thanks
Its definatley the evaporator. Get ready to remove the seats, console, dash, steering, blower, and a bunch more shit along the way. Make sure to replace the heater core when in there as you dont need to do it again in the near future. Its a terrible job but its worth it to have AC again.

To test for sure if its an evaporator find someone with a refrigerate sniffing tool and hold it to the vents in the car. But if you dont see the leak with ultraviolet light in the engine compartment than 99% of the time its the evaporator core.

mark23svt

Established Member
Its definatley the evaporator. Get ready to remove the seats, console, dash, steering, blower, and a bunch more shit along the way. Make sure to replace the heater core when in there as you dont need to do it again in the near future. Its a terrible job but its worth it to have AC again.

To test for sure if it’s an evaporator find someone with a refrigerate sniffing tool and hold it to the vents in the car. But if you dont see the leak with ultraviolet light in the engine compartment than 99% of the time it’s the evaporator core.
Dam that’s what I didn’t want it to be.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

To test for sure if its an evaporator find someone with a refrigerate sniffing tool and hold it to the vents in the car. But if you dont see the leak with ultraviolet light in the engine compartment than 99% of the time its the evaporator core.

eh, with the added bs of the KC Id say it warrants checking over as well before pulling out a dash

mark23svt

Established Member
eh, with the added bs of the KC Id say it warrants checking over as well before pulling out a dash
Yeah that’s my first thing I’m going to check everything for the killer chiller and hoping that’s it if not I will change anything that’s needed in the dash so I won’t be doing that nightmare again for a while.

mark23svt

Established Member
Well I guess he thought it wasn’t cooling enough(which it’s not compared to a cobra without killer chiller) but car is cooling just not ice cold). I’ll remove the chiller for next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread