A/C Suddenly quit

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
I think that perhaps I've blown a fuse that runs my A/C Compresor. On a 1999 Cobra....can you tell me which fuse I need to check?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Under the dash. It's a small 15v fuse.

It it shared by the rear defrost.

Look in the manual, it's exact location is labeled.

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
I have a similar problem, my a/c and heat only works on 4, and I have no manual, what would it be a fuse?

Established Member
Here you go:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/2000_fuse.html

2000_fuse_2.gif

2000_fuse_3.gif

2000_fuse_2a.gif

You are looking for fuse # 23. That is the one that blows.

Good Luck!

Ken

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
glad to hear it was a simple fix! i have saved that diagram on my computer as i don't have my manual either.

Established Member
Owner's manual?

Simple fix:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....edia=&mscsid=1QGG66XKJ73N8N15BMSNR04HRM3PD1X7

or direct:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...ype=K&mscsid=1QGG66XKJ73N8N15BMSNR04HRM3PD1X7

$32.00

Factory issued glove box manual. Information within each vehicle specific manual has been developed by the OEM to give vehicle owners a basic understanding of the operation of their vehicle. Provides recommended oil for your vehicle, gas tank capacity, clock and radio setting, information about vital fluids, tires, routine maintenance and specific options your vehicle is equipped with. Contains information on the proper operation and care of the vehicle. Some Owner Guide kit also include Maintenance Schedules. Owner Guide supplements are available for specific options on certain vehicles and contain information describing the operation of these options. These are factory issued manuals.
Description:
Includes The Owner Manual And Additional Vehicle Information Inside The Factory Glove Box Portfolio.

Your purchase consists of, and included in the above price.
(1) XR3J19A321AC - 1999 Mustang Owner Manual
(2) XR3J19A285AA - 1999 Mustang Svt Supplement
(3) 3W7J19A342AA - Ford Portfolio

and

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...ype=N&mscsid=1QGG66XKJ73N8N15BMSNR04HRM3PD1X7

$6.00

1999 Mustang Svt Supplement
Factory issued glove box manual. Information within each vehicle specific manual has been developed by the OEM to give vehicle owners a basic understanding of the operation of their vehicle. Provides recommended oil for your vehicle, gas tank capacity, clock and radio setting, information about vital fluids, tires, routine maintenance and specific options your vehicle is equipped with. Contains information on the proper operation and care of the vehicle. Some Owner Guide kit also include Maintenance Schedules. Owner Guide supplements are available for specific options on certain vehicles and contain information describing the operation of these options. These are factory issued manuals.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
my a/c took a crap on me but i wasn't so lucky....bad compressor

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
South NJ Stang said:
I have a similar problem, my a/c and heat only works on 4, and I have no manual, what would it be a fuse?

That sounds like a bad switch in the dash.

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
erp.......pulled the fuses....they seem to be in great working condition....now on to the more expensive stuff...shoot, crap and dang even....

01vert

Established Member
For the fan working only on high, not totally sure but most fords have a resistor type unit that controls the fan speed based upon the switch. Usually when it only works in high, the resistor is burnt out. The resistor changes the voltage going to the fan (and hence the speed) and basically turns the rest of the voltage into heat, thats why they used to burn out ALOT in 1970s cars, and less nowadays with the advent of the solid state stuff

THE_STIG

Established Member
01vert said:
For the fan working only on high, not totally sure but most fords have a resistor type unit that controls the fan speed based upon the switch. Usually when it only works in high, the resistor is burnt out. The resistor changes the voltage going to the fan (and hence the speed) and basically turns the rest of the voltage into heat, thats why they used to burn out ALOT in 1970s cars, and less nowadays with the advent of the solid state stuff

how do I go about getting that fixed?

Established Member
South NJ Stang said:
how do I go about getting that fixed?

At the top of the FAN shroud (on the passenger side) there is a wiring harness plugged into it. Unplug that wiring harness and you should see a plug that is octagon shaped. It is held onto the shroud by 2-4 clips, spread them and pull that unit out. You will see that is looks like a resistor. Be very careful since it gets VERY warm.

I do not recall the price for it, but methinks it's in the $30 range.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
wife's 02 exploder had the fan lose the 3rd speed on the fan, but still had 1,2, and 4, (actually 3 would blow at the same speed as 2)....swiped the switch out of my buddy's 02 exploder which worked normally, plugged it into ours, worked fine, so a 12 dollar switch ended up fixing that problem...

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
So..worst case scenario...if its a compressor...are we talking more than a few items off of the McDonalds Dollar Menu....price-wise?

thasalvoo

same thing happened to mine... if it is a compressor its about 250 from your local sutozone....ebay has a few used ones for about 64 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread