A/c questions

mustanginky

Established Member
Ok everyone 2000 GT ac question here.

I had a very low system but it wasn't empty. I pulled a vacuum on it and it wouldn't hold vacuum long at all, maybe 5 minutes. I wanted to locate the leak so I added r134 with dye in it.

About 24 hours after charging it I heard a hiss sound while in the garage and went over to check it out. The low side port was bubbling out r134. I attempted to use a tire valve core tool and it wouldn't work on the schrader valve. It doesn't seem to have a wide enough groove.

I looked around with a uv light and didn't notice any other obvious leaks.

Also, I've heard that the cap is actually the primary seal. Seems an odd concept but most I've seen from ac guys on the Internet support this idea.

I believe I need to replace the core but don't have a clue what tool I need to remove it not which ones to replace it with. Ideas?

maxwell6

Established Member
If you are able to evacuate the system then go to any heating /cooling supply and ask for a schrader valve removal tool most will give you 1 for free. Then take it back and get them to match it up.

mustanginky

Established Member
Hmm I don't think there are any relatively close by. I live and work in the country. I'll look around though. I for sure would've thought my valve core tool would work.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Don't you have the cap that goes on that valve?
Or is it leaking past the cap also.I think mine has an O ring inside of the cap as well .

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the high side valve is pretty big. I bought an AC valve tool and the high side end of it still wasnt big enough, I used a file to open it up some to get it to fit.

You do NOT want to pull that valve out with it under pressure, easily over 100psi on a full system.

mustanginky

Established Member
Don't you have the cap that goes on that valve?
Or is it leaking past the cap also.I think mine has an O ring inside of the cap as well .

I do but believe it must be leaking past the cap. I had it filled 2 years ago and by the next spring it quit working. I have a sizable leak as indicated by pulling a vacuum.

the high side valve is pretty big. I bought an AC valve tool and the high side end of it still wasnt big enough, I used a file to open it up some to get it to fit.

You do NOT want to pull that valve out with it under pressure, easily over 100psi on a full system.

Oh yeah im not having the equivelant to a 17 hmr go through my face. If i replace them ill discharge the system for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread