a/c question/help

97cobra1

Established Member
i've searched on here adn on google and can't seen to find the info i'm looking for regarding my a/c issue.

Yesterday I went on some errands for my girlfriend and noticed my a/c isn't blowing cold. i bought a recharge kit thinking that was the issue, but when i got home i let it idle for a second and it sounds like the clutch maybe? (I'm clueless on a/c stuff) is cycling on/off every few seconds and my idle is surging a few hundred rpms up and down when it occurs.

Just looking for some ideas on what it might be or where to start. It's gonna be hot here starting yesterday, and i'm not looking foward to it now lol.

4valved

Banned
If the clutch is cycling fast thats a good indication of low Freon or refrigerant

Did you give it a recharge?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you have the AC set on high and its still clicking on and off you are likely low on freon. The low pressure safety switch will make the clutch cut out if low side pressure falls below a certain number. There is a point that when the compressor is off low side pressure is high enough that it will allow the compressor to come on but when it kicks on pressure drops and it falls below the minimum pressure and cuts it back off again and the cycle repeats over and over. When the AC is off low and high side pressures will equalize so you might have 120psi on both sides and once the compressor kicks on you might see 50 psi on the low side and 190 on the highside (those numbers arent quite right but typically low side pressure should be under 60 as a max when the compressor is running and high side somewhere between 2-2.5 times ambient temperature)

I wouldnt be surprised if youve sprung a leak somewhere so it may well happen again

Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
When the A/C clutch cycles rapidly= low refrigerant charge

That means you’ve had a small leak in the system. If you are not low on refrigerant; a bad cycling switch would cause A/C clutch to cycle rapidly

Your best bet is to take it in and have them evacuate the system/refill and test

Good info DSG2003Mach1!

Last edited:

97cobra1

Established Member
i got a refill kit yesterday and when i popped it on today the gauge said it was full but the gauge also bounced up and down when the rpms fluctuated.

where can i snag a tester at? just any autoparts place?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i got a refill kit yesterday and when i popped it on today the gauge said it was full but the gauge also bounced up and down when the rpms fluctuated.

where can i snag a tester at? just any autoparts place?

Was the compressor running at the time? If not it probably will say its full, you're at an awkward charge state it sounds likefornot having a full set of gauges

Users who are viewing this thread