a/c help...

fedge

Hey fellas, I need some info on replacing my compressor for my a/c. I've never had to replace one before ane mine is going out and needs to be replaced. So if anyone has ever changed one or know where the best place to buy one is I would appreciate it! Thanks.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Ok. best way is to take it to a local A/C shop and let them recover the R134.

A good shop will do it for free. Some shops will hold it for you or give you a break when you need it refilled.

Not sure about actually doing the a/c compressor on these cars. Never taken one off. But its like every other car. unbolt the hardlines and wiring harness and drop the compressor.

It can't be too hard.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Don't know what year yours is but I just went through replacing my compressor on my '01. You can get a new Visteon FS-10 compressor for about $200 shipped from on-line sources. The replacement is easy. It's the rest that is harder. Did your compressor fail?? Compressor failure is also known as "black death" because of the metallic debris left behind. If this happened, then you'll also need to replace the accumulator, lines and flush the condensor and evaporator.

If a seal failed, like mine, you'll be OK with just replacing the compressor.

You'll need to evacuate the system, after everything is back together, using a vacuum pump - ~$120 on line - and ensure the system holds vacuum (no leaks). Then, you'll need a decent set manifold gauge to get readings while you're recharging. The recharge volume should be on a under-hood label. Mine was 34 oz. Then, you rehcarge until the volume is replaced and the readings on the manifold gauge is within acceptable limits - which is temperature dependent.

It's not hard but it's not easy, either. Also, you need the above-mentioned special tools.

What makes you think you need a new compressor?? Mine had a leak at the front shaft seal, which is really not serviceable without a ton of special tools.

There are also other seals that could be leaking. I used the R134a with UV dye to find out where my leak was. Using a UV light and yellow glasses kit I purchased from AutoZone, I could really tell where the leak was. The funky yellow glasses really work with the UV light.

Now, I'm good and cold again.

There are some good A/C forums on line, too, that can help you out.

Hope this helps.

fedge

thanx or all the input, it still blows cold air, its just when i turn on the a/c it sounds like a bearing in the clutch is going out. makes kinda like a ticketing sound...

Users who are viewing this thread