A/C Delete

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
Marcello96 said:
How much power do you gain from an A/C delete on a stock 96
NOTHING......as long as the ac is not on it has no drag on the engine.....only thing to gain is weight reduction

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I wouldn't delete the A/C, there is really no benefit to doing it. I only got rid of mine because the compressor was broken and all my lines were bad, and was quoted 800-1000 to have it fixed. So I just took it out since it was bad anyway. If my A/C was working I would just leave it in.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
NVENEM8U said:
NOTHING......as long as the ac is not on it has no drag on the engine.....only thing to gain is weight reduction

Is that the truth? My A/C has a leak in the system and will not blow cold but I do keep the vent on just to have air flowing throughout the car. Is it costing me gas and HP just to have it on despite no cold air? I guess it makes sense that even though there is a leak the AC compressor is still spinning.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
ac 101

good ?s ......ok....for vent just turn the control knob to VENT not AC ....yes the compressor still spins but when the control is on VENT the compressor does nothing as it is pulling in air from outside and the air will only be as cool as the temp out side but u can make it warmer w/ the temp control. The compressor only works when the knob is on AC ( Providing that the system is charged ) as it will cycle on and off via the engaugement/disengaugement of the compressor clutch to the pulley on the compressor....if ur system has a leak and no freon is present then ur compressor is not cycling no there is no parasitic loss hince no loss in MPG

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
busta said:
Is that the truth? My A/C has a leak in the system and will not blow cold but I do keep the vent on just to have air flowing throughout the car. Is it costing me gas and HP just to have it on despite no cold air? I guess it makes sense that even though there is a leak the AC compressor is still spinning.

If you have it on the VENT setting its not turning the compressor on.

the compressor will kick off at WOT to protect itself from developing too much pressure.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If you have no refrigerant in the system the compressor will not engage no matter what setting the knob is on.
So no, you are not robbing power.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
VirtualSVT said:
the compressor will kick off at WOT to protect itself from developing too much pressure.
ECM kicks off. The ECM knows WOT and you want to go.
lol

The system pressure switches take care of the pressure.

Think about taking it in neutral up to 6500RPMs slowly without going WOT to make it kick off. Wouldn't that build to much pressure?

CRAP I can't spell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread