A Better CAI

musclemerc

Established Member
I wanted a new CAI for awhile now but everything on the market was in my mind a poor attempt at a true CAI.

The JLT, was my original choice in a CAI mainly because of its price, it's hard to beat for the money but CAI it is not. I data logged IATs for over a month with the heat shield installed and without and what I came up with is this.

Cruising IATs: 99*~*120* (10*~31* above ambient)
At a stop IATs are: 140*~146* (51*~57* above ambient)
ECTs: 190*
Ambient Outside Temps: 89*

The JLTs tube has a nice thick 3/8"" wall to protect it from engine heat but the downfall with this kit is the heatshield, it's inadequate at best being only a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic. When you get to a stop and the fan is running the IATs will climb through the roof and remain there until you get alot of air built up under the hood. Another downfall on the JLT is it looks like its made from plumbing supplies

I moved on and started dataloging on the K&N FIPK but I quickly found out it produced slightly higher IATs than the JLT due to the fact that its entire construction is 1/8" ABS including the zip tube (it does not have a 3/8"" wall construction like the JLT) It also had the same spike in IATs at an extended stop with the heat from the radiator fan washing into the air filter

So onto my quest to make a better CAI kit.

I had a list of materials and stuck with these specific parts for design till the end. Laminated ABS plastic construction, silicone turbo quality connectors, an aluminum zip tube, and T-bolt fastners to finish it up.

For my kit to function as a true CAI I knew it would have to be diffrent from anything out there so I will walk everyone through my building process.

The zip tube had to ba a thick walled aluminum for 2 reasons
1) Aluminum cools faster than any other comparable materials
2) The thick wall will insulate the cool air inside the zip tube and protect it from engine temps under the hood
Air and aluminum are just meant to be together look at the I.D. of my zip tube, by default it moves air most efficient
photoalbum126-1.jpg

Next I had to make a fully sealed enclusure that will still fit under the hood but still have the least amount of restriction. The other guys have limited themselves to not using a fully sealed enclosure because they use the wrong filter element. With a Cone type conical filter all you can do is build a heat shield anything else will be too big.

I went outside of the box and used a sealed enclosure that utilizes a panel filter that is completely removable for service. This panel filter lives at the original stock CAI location with one exception, I removed the entire piece of steel that blocked the stock opening so this filter is completely unrestricted
photoalbum129-1.jpg

The airbox is made of multiple layers of laminated 1/8" ABS with the side walls measuring up to 1/2" and the lid and base comming in at almost 3/4" thickness. My box is too thick for the hot engine air to penetrate.

When all was said and done here is my new datalogged information

Cruising IATs: 85*~86* total of -3*~-4* below ambient temp
At a stop IATs are: 93* -only 4* above ambient-
ECTs: 190*
Ambient Outside temps: 89*

Here is my youtube video with some datalogging on a 89* day in Mississippi:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZ3cgWPDRI"]3 -below - YouTube[/nomedia]

This is a TRUE CAI kit, it does exactly what its engineered to do, and thats deliver cold air as efficiently as possible.
We all know the cooler the charge the more HP the engine can produce
photoalbum135-1.jpg

My throttle resopnse is crisp, it responds to the slightest touch. It's just amazing, its got more get up and go than ever before.

Earlier today I went WOT and normally I break the tires on my 1st~2nd shift. This time is got sideways on me at about 55~60mph but I backpeddled it a little and got back into it. The sound is even more pronounced than with the other CAI I've used in the past.

Last edited:

Misquamarauder

Established Member
It looks like a fine quality build. Are you sucking air from behind the headlight? I've thought about scooping air from the holes in the bumper cover, but worry a bit about the extra dirt and moisture that would be brought in from down there.

musclemerc

Established Member
Yes, I'm pulling the air from behind the headlamp outside of the engine bay. I completely removed the panel behind the headlamp to create a larger opening.
photoalbum142-1.jpg

I choose this design to avoid just what you mentioned. If it were inside the lower bumper area it would without any question be exposed to moisture and road debris. I dont have a problem with either and with the large opening it pulls the air unrestricted

kmastl

Established Member
Hey travis. Still rocking my MM cai. Haven't been able to do any data logging but it has been working great.

I think this weekend I am going to pop it off and clean the filter. I plan on doing an eaton swap next summer.. I hope I will be able to flip this thing around and make it work on the passengers side. Don't see why not with a little moving around of the fuse-box.

Users who are viewing this thread