'99 tuning probs?

cundiffw

Established Member
on the 99 cobras, what is the horsepower loss attributed to, and can it be fixed? Im asking because im thinking about getting one, but all this talk about the problems with the 99's and the 01's is making me skeptical. What are your thoughts about the whole situation? I have a 99 v6 and I love it(just not enough power) :lol: thanks
-Bill

cundiffw

Established Member
and by the way...what is this "fiX" that I keep reading about for the '99 cobras thats supposed to take care of the problem?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The '99s were released with less horsepower than advertised. Ford "fixed" this with a reprogrammed computer, intake modification and new exhaust. The "fixed" '99s are some of the fastest stock four cam 4.6s (the non-pinging '01s are also in that group...)

cundiffw

Established Member
how can I tell if the fix has been performed on the car? also what are everyones thoughts on the 99 up cobras as everyday drivers, right now im thinking either a 99 cobra or a supercharged 2000 GT...
appreaciate your opinion on the matter
-Bill

SVT4POP

Established Member
CUNDIFFW, ...

Ask the dealer to check the maintenance records by the VIN# and don't accept "no" for an answer. Or, you can go to Carfax.com and for about $12.00 get a run out of the car's maintenance history. That's what I did before I bought my '99 Black Coupe and also found out who performed the "fix" and when it was done, as well as the dealership where it was originally purchased.

You could also take the car to a local dyno shop if you have one in your area and for $25.00 or so run it up on the dyno. I would be highly suspect of the vehicle if it doesn't do at least 273-276 rwhp. You should also try to get it "up in the air" on a rack and eyeball the exhaust system to see if it looks new. Of course, that depends on how many miles it has and other driver history.

IMHO I'd go for the Cobra if it's had the fix. You can always s/c it later and it should outperform the 2000 GT/sc'd (with all due respect for the many fire-breathing GT/sc owners who have some incredibly fast rides!)

CbrCpe

Established Member
the '99 hp 'fix' visuals...

[1] There will be a blue dot (extrude honed) or green dot (acid dipped core) on the left front on lower intake.

[2] The new catback will have 7509 stamped on the bottom of the mufflers.

[3] There should be a sticker under the hood to show that the computer has been re-flashed.

The '99's are not down on power, mine with the extrude honed intake(blue dot)...dynoed @330bhp...280.1rw...bone stock.

Daniel Moran

Established Member
99 power fix

Car and Driver discussed the 99's power problems in the July 2001 issue, page 92. They said it resulted from a) a section of the exhaust was mistakenly flattened or narrowed in production b) casting flash in the intake. I drove my neighbor's 99 Cobra coupe before he got the fix and compared to my 01 his car was very much slower and quieter. I thought I read somewhere that the 01 cams were slightly changed...not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread