99 cobra vs 97 z28 vs 95 gts

Kcobra99

Established Member
One of the sargeants in my unit has a 97 z28 convertible and we've been trading some friendly trash talking. but never had the chance to run. My friend (95 gts) and I were driving around and saw the camero heading the other direction. We take a while to get turned around but manage to catch up to him just as he got home. We find out that he's been drinking all day watching NASCAR and his wife was drinving him home. We said maybe later, but he was set on running us tonight with his wife driving. :shrug:

the first run we started I hooked up perfectly, jumped 2 cars ahead, but there was a truck that pulled out in front of me so I shut down.

The next run was better, I had some wheel hop off the line but, hooked up quickly and jumped ahead a car length. My friend and the camaro got about the same launch, but the z28 pulled ahead of him and stayed on my bumper through first. I pulled another car in 2nd and several more in third; fourth was turning into bus lengths, so I shut down at ~120mph but he wanted more.

It was decided to wait until he was sober so he could drive. He figures the driver mod makes more of a difference than 40hp and 400lbs of weight. :idea: We followed him back to his house, had a beer and decided to run tomorrow. :beer: He's starting to learn what the the little snake on the front fender means and his wife now wants a mustang ;-)

Kcobra99

Established Member
He was stock, I have intake/exhaust, the 95 had intake/exhaust/pullies.

It wasn't much of a race, his wife was having problems trying to race and listen to the drunk guy in the passenger seat yelling at her to go faster.

My friend and I are trying to get him to mod the car, and thought that beating him with a mustang would do it. If I win the rematch it just might work.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Sounds like you had fun. I think that the LT1 would give you a much better race with him driving alone. Those cars have 13 sec ability stock. The GTS ran about what it should.

Kcobra99

Established Member
I think the race should be closer with him driving; he has an automatic and should be able to out launch me.

My friend with the GTS has a pile of performance parts in his basement that should make it competitive: long tubes, off road-H, ported intake, drag radials, smog pump delete, and 3.55's. We plan to install it all next weekend.

Cahill00SS

Established Member
what rear end gear does the Z28 have? most likely as with most 'verts it has the 2.73 highway gears. It's probably a mid to low 14 sec. car.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
It should make for a good couple of rematches until he gets the point.
Anyone here know how to decode GM axle tags so I can check the Final Drive next time I'm over there?

Last edited:

COBRABRAD

Established Member
Kcobra99 said:
One of the sargeants in my unit has a 97 z28 convertible and we've been trading some friendly trash talking. but never had the chance to run. My friend (95 gts) and I were driving around and saw the camero heading the other direction. We take a while to get turned around but manage to catch up to him just as he got home. We find out that he's been drinking all day watching NASCAR and his wife was drinving him home. We said maybe later, but he was set on running us tonight with his wife driving. :shrug:

the first run we started I hooked up perfectly, jumped 2 cars ahead, but there was a truck that pulled out in front of me so I shut down.

The next run was better, I had some wheel hop off the line but, hooked up quickly and jumped ahead a car length. My friend and the camaro got about the same launch, but the z28 pulled ahead of him and stayed on my bumper through first. I pulled another car in 2nd and several more in third; fourth was turning into bus lengths, so I shut down at ~120mph but he wanted more.

It was decided to wait until he was sober so he could drive. He figures the driver mod makes more of a difference than 40hp and 400lbs of weight. :idea: We followed him back to his house, had a beer and decided to run tomorrow. :beer: He's starting to learn what the the little snake on the front fender means and his wife now wants a mustang ;-)
I call BS on this story - Canada doesn't have a military (just kidding).

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Round 2:
So I had the opportunity to have another go with the Z28 yesterday, both of us were on the way home from work and were pacing each other side by side down the highway. Rolling speed was about 90 Km/h (3rd gear@~3000RPM for me give or take) he gave the 1-2-3 and we both floored it, we stayed precisely side by side with neither one gaining, we shut down about halfway through 4th gear (for me) due to upcoming traffic. When we reached the lights he asked if I'd been "heating it up" since last time, I told him I'd gotten the ram-air sealed properly and I didn't have a passenger this time around. It's quite a good natured rivalry between him and I, it's been ongoing for over a year now. Not a kill by any means but still quite fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread