99 Cobra Vs. 2000 Lightning

Ltnstrk

Established Member
Alright this is the deal. A buddy of mine has a modded 99 with 4:30's, 315 DR's,cai,tb,ma,full exhaust except headers, e-fan, underdrive pullies,line lock,and tune.

Me= 2000 L. with full exhaust except headers, ma,ported blower, 4# lower, chip,shift kit, 305 dr's, traction bars,and cai.
We plan on racing in two weeks what do you think the vedict will be?

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
I think his gears,manual,and weight differance is going to play a huge part!!! That is why I see him winning.

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
i'm curious on how much of a gain you've picked up with all your mods. any times or numbers?

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
If your running slicks, you just might suprise him. '02 Lightning with just a CAI, Chip, and 4# pulley on slicks, 12.7@106 on a warm night. He might nip you, but it should be a good race. :)

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
From a dig you have a chance unless he has a great launch and from a roll he should pull. Good luck and get it on video

wma8706

Established Member
Should be a good race. I have to agree your best bet is from a dig as he may have the upper hand from a roll. whoever gets the best traction should win. good luck!

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Well I have both a 99 Cobra and a 2000 Lightning. I added spray to the Cobra to stay ahead of the lightning. Go from a dig and let him try to catch you. Just don't get crazy and blow the tires off at the line. Roll into it and just put a nasty holeshot on the snake. Remind him that a drag race is from a dig for a 1/4 mile. Basically it come down to a drivers race.

Good luck and post the results.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Umm...the cobra has 4.30 gears....are you guys missing that? I know lightnings are great from a dig but a 4.30 gear is pretty good to...I know.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
My Cobra has 4.56 gears, Long tubes, bla bla bla. I still would have a handfull trying to take the L without the spray. :bowdown:
Traction is much easier to come by with the L' than the Cobra. Now with the ET Streets on the Cobra I could take the L', but if I put the ET Streets on the L' also then it would be a toss up. But of course I always have the spray on the Snake to beat it.
With out the spray the Snake and the L' are both 105.6 mph trap speeds, although the L' was bucking a 30 mph head wind in 88* temps the night it ran 105.6. I have never had them side by side for a run, it's hard to drive them both at the same time :p :p

Last edited:

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
99_venum said:
I have never had them side by side for a run, it's hard to drive them both at the same time :p :p
Man, you guys and gals must be sleeping. I thought I would have at least a dozen offers to drive one while I raced ya with the other one. :coolman:

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
99_venum said:
Man, you guys and gals must be sleeping. I thought I would have at least a dozen offers to drive one while I raced ya with the other one. :coolman:
i volunteer. of course you know i'll have to drive it for a while to get used to it... say a couple months.

HANKFAN

Established Member
My vote goes for the L. WIth your mods you should be in the mid to low 12's all day long. As long as you get a good launch the Cobra is going to be playing catch up!

DJHass00GT

Banned
I think the cobra might jump you until 50 and you should pass him. Because he has 4.30's. I dont think the people on this board know how strong 4.30s are. I have 4.10's. I run 13.2's and I beat a pullied cobra off the line. I pulled about 0.75 of a car and he just passed me. I dyno at 267. he probably dynoing around 440??. Imagine what 4.30's could do. Good luck. post results... Maybe even a video.

Last edited:

Black Venom 99

Established Member
Whats up guys. I am the one with the 99 cobra. Mods are in sig and the car will have a 4.30 gear and be re-tuned with a new chip. I drove my buddies Lightning with Intake, Exhaust, 4 pound lower, and the chip. Granted I eased into it and it shifted at 4500 rpms. My check engine light is on and the car is pig rich, because my cats are off due to the off-road X-pipe and the car is not tuned. That is one reason for the new chip and tune. If I ease into my car the same way I did his truck and shift at 4500 rpm's, his truck does not pull nowhere near like my car does, and thats with the 4.10 gear running rich. I know his mods are going to help but I don't think he will win.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I think it's going to be a good race. I ran an L w/ a pulley, chip, intake, 4.10s and full exhaust from a dead stop and beat him by 2 cars. I have lots of suspension, 3.73s, mid pipe, dumps, pulleys, chip, and a 150 shot. I say it's going to be a good race because I doubt you're spraying 150 and he's got a ported blower. But definately record that race!!!

EDIT:

HANKFAN said:
My vote goes for the L. WIth your mods you should be in the mid to low 12's all day long. As long as you get a good launch the Cobra is going to be playing catch up!

I went 12.4 at 113 w/ a 2.094 60' and that was with 3.73's. I figure a dyno tuned n20 99 w/ 4.30's could go 11's easy with a better launch than my turd of a run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread