99 cobra vs. 04 civic si

redsvt99

Established Member
1am today, on my way home from my a bbq, i raced a 04 civic si with a supercharged rsx type s motor running at i think he said 5-6 #s of boost. it was a race from 50mph and i think i was in 3rd gear 3.5k rpm. a couple runs and i was in shock by how quick that thing pulled away. we pulled over and talked about our cars and turns out hes pushing about 270whp and 170wtq and he redlines at 9k rpms. Here I am wondering how the hell this happened. I only have an aftermarket midpipe(which i recently found out) with stock muffler, 4.10 gears and cold air intake.......i'm disappointed :nonono:

Last edited:

redsvt99

Established Member
after doing some research, civic weighs about 2600lb vs cobras 3430lb. to the wheels id say i'm putting out 260hp(due to 20% power loss due to drivetrain and assuming i got 320hp which i doubt i do) vs. 270whp of the civic. to match the hp/lb ratio of the civic i should be pushing out about 360rwhp. i'm glad to see we have tons of member here pushing out those numbers and even more. :rolling: well....i can't wait to do some mods once i save up some money.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Tune + driver mod = win. Seriously, if you ran him from a dig you would have spanked him as those Civic Si's don't make squat for power until something like 6500 RPM. Before then they might as well be a lawn tractor.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
tune + driver mod = win. Seriously, if you ran him from a dig you would have spanked him as those civic si's don't make squat for power until something like 6500 rpm. Before then they might as well be a lawn tractor.

+1

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Especially if he swaped in an RSX motor. Those things are horrible. Civics tend to favor the B18 GSR swap or the monster B20, hell even the B16 LS motor...getting that much power out of that RSX motor seems a little fishy to me...

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
Tune + driver mod = win. Seriously, if you ran him from a dig you would have spanked him as those Civic Si's don't make squat for power until something like 6500 RPM. Before then they might as well be a lawn tractor.
the civic SIs dont. the rsx motor does.
Especially if he swaped in an RSX motor. Those things are horrible. Civics tend to favor the B18 GSR swap or the monster B20, hell even the B16 LS motor...getting that much power out of that RSX motor seems a little fishy to me...

actually the rsx motor is not too bad, but swapped in a lighter civic AND supercharged, could be a challenge

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
the rsx has the k20, and loooooooooove boost. even stock they are not bad. we have one here N/A that runs low 11s

redsvt99

Established Member
Driver mod? You think ishoulda had it in second instead of third. Well I thought about that afterwards. But not much skill needed from a roll if you ask me. From a dig it makes sense I'd take him but it didn't happen last night.
To be honest, that was one quick civic pulling away hard. Idk. Maybe I haven't encountered to many races yet.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
If you were trolling along at 50 you should have dropped it down to 2nd, would have put you right in the meat of your power band around 5k rpm. I find it hard to believe the guy was putting down 270 to the wheels. Picking up 100 whp from 5 lbs of boost seems a bit much. Either way he was probably in his power band, you weren't and got pulled.

skipthedrummer

Established Member
The k20a2 (RSX-s motor) as mentioned before loves boost. On stock motor and a full-race turbo kit, people have seen over 500whp, some actually cracking 600whp.

With the comptech supercharger, which I beilive is the only blower made for those motors (There's another one I think that's just a rebadged version of the comptech, Jackson Racing maybe?), putting the supercharger to its limit you should see 300 whp without any nitrous or meth.

I know on need2speed, a guy has a k20a2 swapped into an older civic, N.A. with an intake manifold, 90 shot and slicks, and he can take on cobras....from a dig.:rockon:

--edit: If I remember correctly, 300 whp is around 15 psi. Maybe the guy was just messing with you saying 5 psi? :shrug:

Last edited:

04A4GTO

Established Member
1st you race his race, you should have gone from a dig. However I wouldn't be shocked if he ran you down before a 1/4 mile, but at least it would have been really close. Sounds like the civic had a nice setup :) No shame in losing to that

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I raced when I was stock a Acura RSX type S with a Jackson Racing supercharger.. we were VERY close, wasn't till I was past 150 that I started to pull away slightly.. so I can see how one would pull on a 99 Cobra..

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
You started in 3rd at 3.5k? I'm not suprised how fast he pulled away from you, you started in the wrong gear, your own car would of kicked your ass. You could have been sitting at a nice 5300 rpms in second or made him slow down a little so you get down to about 4800. Being in the wrong gear for a race is like driving a car thats a second slower.

The last time I raced in the wrong gear was against a Gran Prix GTP but i still slammed it down into second mid race just to he knew how he really measured up.

Last edited:

5.0calypso93lx

Established Member
I think you guys are HIGHLY under-estimating the K20's and the power that they can make. It's not like the guy set up this race, he was just cruising on the highway and ran into him. So all this from a dig crap is kinda dumb IMO.

LS2GTO

Established Member
I raced a new supercharged Civic Si at the track a couple weeks back. He ran 14 flat @ 100mph all day long, but he said it might have a little more in it with better tires.

He also had somewhere around 250whp, but doesn't seem like that fast of a car...mid 13s is nothing nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread