99 Cobra VS 03 WRX

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
Ok fellas, I was cruizing home last night and a WRX flew up on my tail and as I pulled on to the Hwy. he followed me and just as I merged onto the 4 lane he pulled out and stepped on it. So of course I gunned it as well. The out come was me ahead of him i'd say about 3 car lenghts when I shut down at 140mph. we started at roughly 40mph. Is this a kill or was he toying with me? I have a stock 99 cobra but I'm a very good driver. I been racing for 6 years. I have the experience but I just don't want to talk smack to other WRX's unless I know i did beat that guy last night. Thanks for the imput.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
LittleMT said:
sounds like a kill to me.....

YES.....stock WRXs arent nothing to worry about... that is if you are driving a 96-04 Cobra....mid 14's with low 14's being the very best (stock)
a 99 Cobra should be in the mid-high 13's easily :thumbsup:

Congrats on your kill :rockon:

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I'm Gonna raise some hell now. Will I be able to beat a 02 camaro ss? I think it has exhaust but thats it. Its an auto I know.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
yeah, stock the 03 wrx is a mid to low 14 second car. although my cousin had one with an aftermarket turbo, headers, etc.. and it ran 13 flat. so i imagine he was most likely stock. but good job anyway.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
fast_cobra_r said:
Thanks for the info. I'm Gonna raise some hell now. Will I be able to beat a 02 camaro ss? I think it has exhaust but thats it. Its an auto I know.

I wouldnt mess with a Camaro SS...if you are stock.....LS1s are unbeatable ;-) trust me.....but seriously...the SS will edge you out..
hey but you never know...give it a try :burnout:

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
yeah, stock the 03 wrx is a mid to low 14 second car. although my cousin had one with an aftermarket turbo, headers, etc.. and it ran 13 flat. so i imagine he was most likely stock. but good job anyway.

headers on a turbo or turbo back exhaust? :poke:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
sorry, not headers.. down pipe, and some sort of exhaust.. but it was enough to get him to a 13.0. i know he had a boost controller, blow off valve and had it custom mapped as well. but i dont know too much about those cars, or turbos in general other than how they actually work. :)

Mika

Established Member
Yeah, that was a kill no doubt. The stock turbo on the 2.0's are pretty darn small. But a kill nonetheless. Congrats.

Mika

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
that was a kill, i am about 50 horsepower over a stock one and of a roll I will get ass ****ed by a Cobra

Mr.B

Banned
fast_cobra_r said:
Ok fellas, I was cruizing home last night and a WRX flew up on my tail and as I pulled on to the Hwy. he followed me and just as I merged onto the 4 lane he pulled out and stepped on it. So of course I gunned it as well. The out come was me ahead of him i'd say about 3 car lenghts when I shut down at 140mph. we started at roughly 40mph. Is this a kill or was he toying with me? I have a stock 99 cobra but I'm a very good driver. I been racing for 6 years. I have the experience but I just don't want to talk smack to other WRX's unless I know i did beat that guy last night. Thanks for the imput.

good thing you didn't have to turn.........or you would've been in the bushes :lol1:

LtDavis

Established Member
Mr.B said:
good thing you didn't have to turn.........or you would've been in the bushes :lol1:

yeah, because like all RWD cars, especially with IRS, them cobras spontaneously combust as soon as you turn the steering wheel... :loser:

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
why do people want to try to bash other people? I am not bragging that I whooped a wrx I simply asked if it seemed like he was trying. And by the way I have ran autocross before and can do petty damn well compared to most! STOP HATING

Mika

Established Member
fast_cobra_r said:
why do people want to try to bash other people? I am not bragging that I whooped a wrx I simply asked if it seemed like he was trying. And by the way I have ran autocross before and can do petty damn well compared to most! STOP HATING

Everyone is an e-thug to a certain degree.

The WRX you ran was trying. The WRX isn't much from a roll. Their ET's are so low due to their quickness off the line. STi's put up a bit more of a fight. Not in Terminator category unless well modded though...

Mika

Johns96Cobra

Established Member
This might be a stupid question, are the WRX and the WRX STi the same car? Reason I ask is because I had a WRX Sti toying with me the other day but I didn't want to run in traffic. Curious as to what the outcome would be. Sounded stock.

Good kill BTW!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Are you sure it wasn't an Sti?

If it was a regular WRX, he must have had some serious mods to keep up with you like that on the highway.

I test drove a few lightly modded WRX's and they were all dogs. No match for even a Mustang GT on the highway.

okflyswatter

Established Member
Johns96Cobra said:
This might be a stupid question, are the WRX and the WRX STi the same car? Reason I ask is because I had a WRX Sti toying with me the other day but I didn't want to run in traffic. Curious as to what the outcome would be. Sounded stock.

Good kill BTW!
The WRX and STi share the same chassis, but the STi gets a 2.5 liter engine vs the 2.0 in the pre2006 WRX. The 2.0 was rated at 227 hp and the STi's 2.5 was rated at 300 hp. The STi also got a superb 6 speed tranny compared to the 5 speed in the other Imprezas. You can usually tell a STi from a WRX because of the huge spoiler that comes on the STi. The STi also came with either gold or silver BBS wheels. Both of those things can be fitted onto a WRX though. The best way to tell the two apart is the gold Brembro brake calipers on a STi. You say the car sounded stock, let me tell you that you will know when one has a full turbo back exhaust because you will hear the boxer engine's grumble. Mine is stock and sounds a little louder than the WRXs that I've driven. for what it's worth, I was reading your mod list and think that you car would walk away from me without a problem. The STi is very quick, but I don't think my car in stock form would hang with your Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread