99 Cobra Supercharger

wiltjoe

Banned
I am looking at FI for the cobra. as far as I am aware of, the only twin screw supercharger that is on the market for the 99 is the kenne bell 2.1L. I am curious if the whipple kit from the 03-04 would work with the 99-01.
Whipple.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...ingWhipple_Supercharger__Stock_TB__Black.html
As I understand, it comes with everything necessary to install onto a 4v engine, and if I ran a safe boost level on my 99 motor, I'd prefer to go with this type and brand of charger.

However, it is mostly price that drives me, and the kb is 1500 ish more than the whipple; although kb says it can get more power out of 5psi than the stock termi does with 8 or 9.

Any advice or help with this supercharger setup idea would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure someone else has contemplated this idea before.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
You need all the intercooler, pumps, heat exchanger, timing cover with seconday accessory pulley system. It would need everything to do an Eaton swap minus the eaton. Best bet if you want a PD blower is getting the KB. Also don't cheap out and get the intercooled. These motors have no tolerance for detonation especially FI and an intercooler will help bring inlet charge temps down quite a bit.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
You need all the intercooler, pumps, heat exchanger, timing cover with seconday accessory pulley system. It would need everything to do an Eaton swap minus the eaton. Best bet if you want a PD blower is getting the KB. Also don't cheap out and get the intercooled. These motors have no tolerance for detonation especially FI and an intercooler will help bring inlet charge temps down quite a bit.

Do an Eaton swap.

yea,im thinking than an eaton swap will run you a little cheaper than 7gs.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
yea,im thinking than an eaton swap will run you a little cheaper than 7gs.

And then still give you the option of upgrading to all the big blowers offered for the Terminators later down the road. Plenty of power to be made on the eaton as well.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
ehh just doing a eaton swap isnt bad. 3-4.5K i would guess depending where you get your parts. it would be quite worthless to upgrade to a whipple from the eaton swap since the stock rods and pistons are weak. Some people get 415 for a week before it gives and some have 460+ for years. Its all in your tune dont forget.

Once you build the bottom end up a whipple would be nasty

wiltjoe

Banned
well, I originally looked at the kb kit with 5psi, and the people at kb told me the 5psi was safe for the stock 99-01 motor. I was just going to do 5psi for the time being, but I was also looking at my options as far as units go, and a kb would cost a bit more than a whipple, especially if I only wanted to run a low level for now, i didn't think it would be worth it. I'm not too thrilled about forging the bottom end at this point, but if it should be done, even for the 5psi kit that kb says is "safe", then I'm going to invest my money in a set of cams and stay n/a.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
you would be a fool to spend the money on a KB kit just to run 5psi.
hell go buy one of those 50 dollar electric turbo fans!

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Yes... As I said earlier, your best bet on a positive displacement blower is an Eaton swap. Unless you wanna spend all the money on a KB.

Users who are viewing this thread