99 Cobra Shortblock in my 98 Cobra

96GT226410

Established Member
I spun a bearing on my original 98 Cobra engine and I found a good deal on a used 99 Cobra shortblock. I want to run my original 98 B heads, timing cover, accessories, coil packs, valve covers, and intake. Is that a straight swap? I thought I remembered something different about the knock sensors in the 99 blocks compared to the 98 blocks. Any other issues I'd run into? I know people are going to say to just swap C heads on, but I'm just looking into getting her running quickly and on the cheap. I'll have my original shortblock to build over the summer and winter so this would just be a temporary thing. The Cobra isn't my daily driver. Thanks.

96GT226410

Established Member
Well, unless I come across a local set of C heads on the cheap. If I do then I might just have to do the upgrade. Think I'd be around 315 - 325 RWHP with the 99 block, C heads with B cams, C lower to B upper intake adapter, FRPP shortys, O/R mid pipe (not sure if X or H yet), catback (Flowmaster or Mac), tuner, JLT intake, and pullies?

nomoretickets

Established Member
If you are doing B upper / C lower, keeping accessories, etc. then it should be pretty much a straight swap. I assume you are staying w/ stock coil pack setup? Remember that our cars use two temp sensors in the coolant crossover. The 99/01's have knock sensors. Just delete them. A lot of the 99/01 guys just end up turning them off in the tune due to the knock sensors pulling timing on hard launches and what not. Shouldn't hurt, Ford wound up pulling them all together int he 03/04 Cobra's anyway.

Reading if you are really bored, sure there are a bunch of other threads. I just grabbed the first one I saw.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/knock-sensors-good-important-information.622668/

97snakebite

Established Member
If you are doing B upper / C lower, keeping accessories, etc. then it should be pretty much a straight swap. I assume you are staying w/ stock coil pack setup? Remember that our cars use two temp sensors in the coolant crossover. The 99/01's have knock sensors. Just delete them. A lot of the 99/01 guys just end up turning them off in the tune due to the knock sensors pulling timing on hard launches and what not. Shouldn't hurt, Ford wound up pulling them all together int he 03/04 Cobra's anyway.

Reading if you are really bored, sure there are a bunch of other threads. I just grabbed the first one I saw.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/knock-sensors-good-important-information.622668/
His car has knock sensors a well.

nomoretickets

Established Member
01' is when they swapped to WAP blocks if I'm not mistaken. Some 01's still had teksid blocks though.

Edit: Source
Roughly 25-50% of 01's had Teksid blocks from what I read. Some post had a guy with production numbers and math and stuff. I ignored that and skipped to the conclusion. Either way, both should last you to 750 whp easy.

Users who are viewing this thread