99 Cobra rear tires rub!

like2party

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra vert with 18x10 BBS RK rims and 295/40 Michelin Pilot Sport tires on the rear. Running Eibach Pro-Kit springs with their Pro-Damper strut kit. Tires rub, especially the drivers side when the suspension compresses (over bumps, dips, etc.). Any suggestions, or am I doomed to put the stock springs back on?

SAVAGE99

Established Member
Hey like2party,

Just curious where are they rubbing. With 275 40 17's they look as if they are really close to rubbing on a bolt that sticks out of the IRS when you have the car on jack stands. When the car sits on the ground it settles and the bolt is now not a problem.

like2party

Established Member
when the suspension compresses, the tire rubs on the inner wheelwell. tire ends up complete with red paint rubbed of the body, and slight grooves on the shoulder of the tire. drivers side only 90% of the time.

SAVAGE99

Established Member
Ooh not good, leaves you with not alot of choices then. Choices would be to find a way to keep the suspension travel from being that long. I'd have to climb underneath mine to see but most suspension systems have somthing to keep the wheel travel from bottoming so deep that it runs into any body work etc. Given the original system would be rendered useless with your wheel situation but I wonder if something could not be impervised. The auto part stores used to sell these twist in spacers to raise suspension slightly on cars with coil springs. The problem there is that they also would not let the spring collaps the way it used to. (Also results in very stiff ride and have been known to break springs when used improperly). I've seen guys use 1, 2 and even three of these things on a single spring and its sort of scary. Think of putting in a solid piece of metal in place of the spring. (not a good Idea.)
Wonder what would be wrong with using the orginal springs in the back and the lowered in front. ( Or at least stock hight spings with modified rate.) Yeah, the car would look slightly jacked in the back but it might at least keep you from bottoming against the wheel well. At least you could keep that massive foot print in the rear. You may have considered these thoughts all ready. I'm just thinking out loud.
:coolman:

like2party

Established Member
thanks for the ideas. I am looking at 00R springs. I am told that the rear would lower less than an inch, which would be better than the 1.5 inch it sits at now. also wondering if the stiffer spring might help, but I don't want to ride like a truck.

Vinnie T

Established Member
Stiffer springs with less drop would help. You've got a wide rim and tire, especially for an 18" rim. I've seen some go to 10 1/2" rims with 315 rubber and still fit, but those were 17's. I wonder if the offset isn't quite right on the rims? How much room do you have on the inside sidewall?
It's been a while, but I recall reading posts where owners where taking the fenderwell lip and bending it upward and inward so it was flat agaisnt the inner side of the fender to allow more tire room.
Good luck with it.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
you could run airbags in the rear springs with a little pressure to keep the spring from compressing as far.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by like2party
thanks for the ideas. I am looking at 00R springs. I am told that the rear would lower less than an inch, which would be better than the 1.5 inch it sits at now. also wondering if the stiffer spring might help, but I don't want to ride like a truck.

I run the Steeda Sport springs and I have the Ford 2000 Cobra R wheels (9.5 inches wide) and I have no trouble with rubbing. I am running 275/35's though. My drop is about 1.25 inches.

William

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
AH, white with chrome.. Nice. My cobra is red and I when't with silver r's. I'm undecided on what tires to get. I'm looking for a lighter tire like 24-27 lbs. These Ford R wheels are very heavy, did you notice a feel in power after you installed the wheels and tires? Thanks again.:)

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
AH, white with chrome.. Nice. My cobra is red and I when't with silver r's. I'm undecided on what tires to get. I'm looking for a lighter tire like 24-27 lbs. These Ford R wheels are very heavy, did you notice a feel in power after you installed the wheels and tires? Thanks again.:)

Yep! I lost a little ground but I am quickly making up for it. I have Hooker Long Tubes on the way and I am having my lower intake ported and polished. In the spring, I plan to add a super charger. I currently have gears, BBK cold air pipe and a custom chip. If you plan to go to the track, buy some extra wheels for the rear. I plan to do that after I beef up my half shafts.

William:beer:

Last edited:

like2party

Established Member
00R springs did the trick. no more rubbing, better handling while only a little stiffer ride. I would definitley not recomend the Prokit from Eibach if you have an IRS convertible.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Sounds like you got your sh*t figured out. I hear ya on the IRS build up. I'm trying to get a good price on the pro-charger 10 lb with 3 core intercoolers, so far lowest price I've found is 3900. What type of tires you got on the Cobra R's, also do you like the ride now?

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Well, the Nitto's are what I am going to purchase next. I have the cheap Khumos (?spelling) on there now. The ride is ok. A 40 series tire would ride better, but it wouldn't look as good. I just can't get these tires to hook. Then again, I hear it's hard to get any 18" tire to really hook.

William

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread