99 Cobra question

drummerboy988

Established Member
I am looking to buy a 99 Cobra. I went and looked at it yesterday and have a couple concerns. It has 40k miles, a procharger, and it runs strong. The body needs some work, but I know some people that can help with that.

The valve cover are black. I don't think any Cobra's came with black valve covers. I think the Marauder did, and I know they make after market ones. My concern is if this is the original motor, and if it is even a Cobra motor and not a Marauder with some of the Cobra parts swapped. Is there any identification numbers anywhere on the motor that would verify the authenticity?

Thanks for any info.

Mrpancho95

Established Member
What side does the intake manifold face and do the valve covers look powder coated?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The valve covers look powder coated to me. The ad says it's built. Does the owner have receipts for parts that are supposed to built?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Looks like he had the valve covers and coil covers coated.

Why not just contact the seller and ask if it's a numbers matching engine?

drummerboy988

Established Member
He is not the original owner. He does have receipts of the stuff he installed, but he did not do any motor work. He said it was like that when he bought it. How would he know if it is a number matching engine if a previous owner did the work?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Having a "numbers matching engine" means zip on a New Edge Cobra. How much power is it putting down? Don't accept, "around 500" or any answer that isn't specific, demand a dyno sheet.

If it really has a built engine that's a great price though there are plenty of guys who have just powder coated the valve covers and coil covers and just bolted them back onto the engine.

Find out who the previous owner is if you can. If it's not possible, pull a spark plug and checkout the pistons, you should be able to tell if they are stock or if they are aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread