99 cobra problem need help asap... anyone???

99'WhiteCobra

Established Member
first off:
99 cobra vortech v2 at 10lbs 72k miles 91 chevron gas
i cruise the car at 2k rpms on the street shift at 3k rpms

Info:
I had the car sitting in the garage for about year, turn on twice week. This past week decide to take the car out finally. Did a tune up on it oil(10-30 castro regular) spark plugs( ngk tr6 0.35). Car starts good run and drives perfect on the street. Took the cobra on the freeway going 70mph in 6th gear, car shuts off out of no where. It bogs right before it shuts off. Put in neutral, crank it and car started up again like nothing happened. naturally i pull over to see if anything is wrong and nothing. got off the freeway and drove the car home and ran like a champ. try it again earlier on the freeway and same thing, shut off about at 65mph in 5th gear. Does anyone have an idea?? im clueless. I keep thinking the spark plugs, because the old set i took off were ngk tr6 but were gap at .45. And these new ones are at .35, does/ would it make my car turn off?. Anything i can check before it goes in to a shop. I hope its something simple. thanks in advance for any help. also my fuel pressure is at 40lbs

96gt02

Established Member
Thats very weird, it does sound like a fuel issue to me however if you have 40lbs for sure then that should rule it out, do you have any codes? Could even be something like a faulty inertia switch cutting out the fuel

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I have a very similar set up just like you except with the procharger. My car would randomly turn off when I'm in parking spot the past couple years. One time it did turn off and I was on the highway so I put it in neutral and restarted the car and started driving again but that was like literally probably 8 years ago before I put my supercharger on. Your plugs definitely should be at .35 not .45 as I have the same plugs as you. Also my car would turn off when I drive and I'm at high rpm's at high-speed's and throw it in neutral my RPMs would just go to zero n the car would turn off. I've been working on these issues the past couple months. Fuel rail pressure sensor, IAC are two very common things some people will say as I have cleaned my IAC and changed my fuel rail pressure sensor. Thus far nothing bad has happened yet as in my car stalling. Please keep me in touch with what happens as I am very curious private message me also if you would like. Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
How fresh was the gas? Was it the same tank that's been sitting in the tank for a year? If so I would get some fresh gas and see what happens.

99'WhiteCobra

Established Member
No codes nor does the engine light come on. the gas was very fresh, i empty out the tank before. I should off added that i pumped 5 gallons of 91 and it only gave me 45 miles before the gas light came on. Just got home from work, gonna start checking the little things. I just keep thinking what would make the car shut off in high rmps?

Keep me updated also bobbystang

96gt02

Established Member
It has to be an intermittent fuel issue, what though may be tough to figure out

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Just wondering what kind of fuel pump do you have installed as mine is a walbro 255lb pump. Also have you ever changed out your frps?

99CobraNRA

Established Member
A wild guess but I had an 83 vw rabbit gti and it sounds like a similar issue, and my issue ended up being a clogged fuel pump. Cruising on the highway it would start jolting and fighting to not stall. Replaced the pump and it went away. I haent had any issues like this in my cobra or any other ford so I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread