99 COBRA pretty stock need some advice!

99electricgreen

Established Member
have a 99 cobra with brand new motor less than 1000 miles with the basic bolt ons bbk long tubes cai slp loudmouth exhaust hi-flow cats and that is it. Also i have a steeda short throw shifter. I am wanting to get a little more power without having to spend 1000's any ideas. I just bought the car 2 months ago and it spent the first month at ford getting the new motor put in after it threw a spark plug! So I am new to the COBRA game and any ideas or suggestions would be welcome!!!!!! Thanks in advance!:beer::banana:

Last edited:

stang8762

Established Member
Since you already have Long tubes and exhaust i would do :

Gears !!!!
JLT Intake
March pulleys
Tune
MGW shifter

Not all in that order but gears really make a difference

99electricgreen

Established Member
it is my daily driver so you think gears are a good idea? also how much would a set of march pulleys run me?

01 Venom

Established Member
For sure 100% do gears, I would do 4.10s for a daily, maybe 4.30s, you wont regret it.

A good shifter and a tune would be my next mods

stang8762

Established Member
Mine is a daily driver and w/ the stock gears after a while it feels like a turd but maybe im used to it . Im sure someone else will chime in but Gears are very important for these cars to get them into the power band quicker. It can cost a little bit but well worth it . There are numerous gear threads that should give you some ideas but any where from 4.10-430s are good for a daily driver.

As far as the pulleys summit sells them for a pretty good price:Both are suppose to give you a pretty good hp bump all that matters is if you want the rest of your pulleys to match b/c one comes w/ just the Damper and the other w/ pulleys and damper. The damper is what gives you the hp

whole kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCH-1175&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Just Damper-
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCH-1158&N=700+0&autoview=sku

stang8762

Established Member
For sure 100% do gears, I would do 4.10s for a daily, maybe 4.30s, you wont regret it.

A good shifter and a tune would be my next mods

I agree if you cant see doing the gears, shifter and a tune would be a great way to spend some money.

Gears
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mopepl4ge.html

Gears- $179.00
Install-$80.00
Labor is what costs the most, mine i am taking out the diff myself and having the gears installed for 200-250

Last edited:

99electricgreen

Established Member
so about $200 for the pulleys and it looks like about $200 for the gears as well and how much does a tune run? and what kind of hp gain would you expect from those 3? also does changing the gear smess up the odometer?

Last edited:

stang8762

Established Member
Not sure yet b/c i havent got one yet but im sure you can search on here and get some answers or someone will chime in. I am looking at getting a xcal 2 or xcal 3 from Amazon tuning : Give them a call from what i read they really know our cars.

http://www.amazonracing.com/

99electricgreen

Established Member
as far as the rear end gears go what all does it entail(I am not going to do it myself)? just pop out the old in with the new or do i have to change the whole rear end out?

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
If you do gears later, you will regret not doing them sooner. TRUST us we have all been around the block. Slap some 4.30s in it and then think about the mods

you will either need a handheld tuner or a speedo calibrator for the gears with the speedometer

but you could ride with it for a temp amount of time.. your mileage will click faster though

Last edited:

99BRA

Established Member
pretty much. old gears come out new gears go in. im throwing some 4.10 into my daily driver stock gears are killing me lol

99electricgreen

Established Member
so definately do the gears what is the rear end size on a 99 cobra and where is the best place. i think i will probably do some 4.10's i guess. also do you guys recommend the previously mentioned pulleys sounds like about a 12.5 hp gain?

Last edited:

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
Since you have the exhaust I agree with doing a good CAI. I like the BBK. I believe you will only get a small gain in HP. I disagree with the gears. If you are doing a DD I would do 3.73 that are better than stock and won't have you turning 3 grand at 75 MPH that 4.30's will . you will not gain any HP with gears just quickness from getting into the sweet spots faster. Every where I read states that the Ford Racing gears are the quietest and I have seen them advertised for @ $180. The pulleys also will only give you a small hp gain but every little bit adds up. Then last a good tune. GL

99BRA

Established Member
i found a guy to carry gears for 157$ shipped. i would say atleast 4.10 gears unless your adding a blower then go 3.73. i use JLT cai. you would get gears for a 8.8 rear

99electricgreen

Established Member
so it sounds like this is the list then:

1. pulleys
2. 3.73 rear gears (It is a daily driver and I dont drive the car real hard)
3. Good tune (Modular Powerhouse Cartersville GA)

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
so it sounds like this is the list then:

1. pulleys
2. 3.73 rear gears (It is a daily driver and I dont drive the car real hard)
3. Good tune (Modular Powerhouse Cartersville GA)

My car had 3.73's when I bought it, I switched to 4.10s and gained an average of 1.5 mpg. Trust the guys here when we say, absolutely NOTHING less than 4.10's and you should highly consider 4.30s. These engines LOVE to turn, don't fear the gear! You will be disappointed in the with the 3.73s, I promise you that. I'm getting 24-25mpg on hwy turning 2800rpm. Definitely do gears before anything else, all other power gained from mods will be multiplied through the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread