99 cobra ok? please lend help.

JoeCobra

Established Member
hey guys a buddy of mine asked me to research 99 cobras and all i'm finding is the negative stuff about all the problems they had. do they still have them? are they ok now? what should he look for in the test drive? any suggestions, thoughts? any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton in advance!

oh and on a side note is 12,000 a good price to pay for a 99 with 65,000 miles on it?

Last edited:

iczar1

Established Member
Well if it has "the fix" then you should be fine.. other than that I absolutley love my new 99 Cobra and do not regret selling of my GT at all!

Most problems with the 99's are fixable and the 99's have been out long enough now that most people have write ups on what you need to do to fix certain problems.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i think 99.9% of the 99 cobras got the fix....a dealer can tell you from the VIN number if it has had the fix....

also, the price sounds about right for the mileage on that cobra...if it's in excellent condition, it's a steal....

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by archangel777200
hey guys a buddy of mine asked me to research 99 cobras and all i'm finding is the negative stuff about all the problems they had. do they still have them? are they ok now? what should he look for in the test drive? any suggestions, thoughts? any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton in advance!

oh and on a side note is 12,000 a good price to pay for a 99 with 65,000 miles on it?

Actullay, once the fix was applied, it seems the 99 Cobras had fewer serious problems than than the 2001 and 03/04 Cobras.

Price looks good - I paid about 13,500 for my 99 with 48K miles (bone stock to the air filter).

iczar1

Established Member
I paid 14k with 69k in miles and in pretty much excellent condition

The Blue Book on it was like i think 17k

Oh and also it had a brand new engine installed in it at 58k in miles so the milage on the engine was about 12k

Edit: Wow I just looked it up on kbb. It has gone down since I looked it up.. oh well... :shrug:

Last edited:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Don't believe all the negative hype. The "fix" was because of a bad exhaust system design and extra flashing in the intake. This did rob the engine of power, however there was no engine problem or anything serious like that. So Ford redesigned the exhaust (the redesign was placed on the 99 and then used on the 01) and extrude honed the intake. There you go problem corrected. Call SVT and they can tell you if it was corrected.

If the car is in good condition $12K is a steal....And i Love my 99..

DAn

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by manystangs
Don't believe all the negative hype. The "fix" was because of a bad exhaust system design and extra flashing in the intake. This did rob the engine of power, however there was no engine problem or anything serious like that. So Ford redesigned the exhaust (the redesign was placed on the 99 and then used on the 01) and extrude honed the intake. There you go problem corrected. Call SVT and they can tell you if it was corrected.

If the car is in good condition $12K is a steal....And i Love my 99..

DAn
Why are the 99's louder than the 01's??:shrug:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Could be they've had two more years to break in the mufflers, the longer a car runs the louder it usually gets when the chambers and sound deadening start to break down...From what i know it is the same exhaust...(could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure)

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
:) Love mine, have 37000 on it and in the last 2 1/2 years its become semi-retired and I've put about 4000 on it. I've personalized it a little and with a few bolt ons make 298 rwhp. Price sounds great, if you can do a car fax on it that might be good for piece of mind. After the very well publicized bugs are out its a great, reliable car. Good luck:-D

JoeCobra

Established Member
well the car fax came up clean. the only issue i may have had was that he will be the 4th owner. otherwise it's clean.

01vert

Established Member
The recent values of these cars has gone down, maybe due to the 05 coming out, check KBB.com for the pricing. Nothing wrong with the 99s but the rear axles are slightly less strong than the 01s. Nothing to worry about unless drag racing is being looked at with drag radials.

If the car is nice, nothing wrong with 4 owners and a clean carfax.

Still look for accidnet damage that may have not been reported.

Good luck

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by archangel777200
well the car fax came up clean. the only issue i may have had was that he will be the 4th owner. otherwise it's clean.

I did it backwards and car faxed it after I purchased car, bought it from dealership with 12000. The car was clean but had 11000 mi on it in 5 months than was sold to another dealership and hardly was driven for the remaining time than sold in a auto auction. I was a little worried but car turned out to be great and as said before am very happy.:D

vennom

99/03 hybrid
Established Member
hey i have a mostly stock 99 that has had the recall, it has 4.10 gears is lowered, and a short shifter, ill sell for 15k, only 29,000 miles. Its an awsome car. runs in the mid 13's
340904_33_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread