99 Cobra oil in coolant & is also leaking coolant

Ike Turner

Established Member
I just bought this 60k mile Cobra 2 weeks ago & I love the car so far, but I have a couple of issues that I just noticed & need to address them...

I'm losing oil & appears to mixing in the coolant. This is the biggest issue with my Cobra so I'll tackle it first. I have searched & seems as though the oil cooler is probably the culprit. There is no coolant in the oil in crankcase (oil on dipstick is normal & car has plenty of power).

Do any of you guys have a good 99-01 oil cooler for sale? Instead of rebuilding, I'd like to swap the whole unit with a known good one. I have paypal ready to send so I can fix my "mistress" as my wife calls it :shrug:

I am leaking coolant from what looks like the water pump as well, but is that because the system is being force fed oil or should I replace it anyway?

The other issues are sticking/hanging idle & vibration at highway speeds (car has sra swap with 4.10's.

Mods that I am aware of are:
JLT intake (in the mail), it has a k&n cone filter on the end of stock tube now
42lb injectors (why I dunno)
Full exhaust (Long Tubes, o/r x, dual flowmasters or magna flow's)
Solid rear axle with 4.10's
Stock wheels (looking to buy a new set if you wanna sell a 17x9/17x10.5 set)

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated guys & if if you'd like to go a step further in helping, give me a shout 251-288-7082 Ike

Ike Turner

Established Member

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I am doing an Eaton swap on my '99, and I will have my oil cooler with 6k miles for sale. Shoot me a PM if you still need one.

Jake

JorgeM

Established Member
im not sure i just bought a used cooler and had some1 install it for me

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I just bought this 60k mile Cobra 2 weeks ago & I love the car so far, but I have a couple of issues that I just noticed & need to address them...

I'm losing oil & appears to mixing in the coolant. This is the biggest issue with my Cobra so I'll tackle it first. I have searched & seems as though the oil cooler is probably the culprit. There is no coolant in the oil in crankcase (oil on dipstick is normal & car has plenty of power).

Do any of you guys have a good 99-01 oil cooler for sale? Instead of rebuilding, I'd like to swap the whole unit with a known good one. I have paypal ready to send so I can fix my "mistress" as my wife calls it :shrug:

I am leaking coolant from what looks like the water pump as well, but is that because the system is being force fed oil or should I replace it anyway?

The other issues are sticking/hanging idle & vibration at highway speeds (car has sra swap with 4.10's.

Mods that I am aware of are:
JLT intake (in the mail), it has a k&n cone filter on the end of stock tube now
42lb injectors (why I dunno)
Full exhaust (Long Tubes, o/r x, dual flowmasters or magna flow's)
Solid rear axle with 4.10's
Stock wheels (looking to buy a new set if you wanna sell a 17x9/17x10.5 set)

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated guys & if if you'd like to go a step further in helping, give me a shout 251-288-7082 Ike

The leaking water pump is a concern to me. Many pumps have a weep hole to let you know they are failing....

blacksheep-1

Established Member
FWIW I have a 99 IRS for that car, it has 125K on it. It is a 28 spline , not the most desirable but it's all stock, and the right one for that car.

Ike Turner

Established Member
nvm this actually didnt work out for me lol

So after the replacement oil cooler was installed, you are still losing oil into the cooling system?

I am going to install my mach 1 style adapter & mach 1 lower radiator hose & I will report back if it solves my issue

Ike Turner

Established Member
alright let me know how it turns out for you

My issue seems to be corrected Jorge. At the advice of NA SVT, I installed a used Mach 1 oil filter adapter & Mach 1 lower radiator hose ($8.99 local parts house). I also bought a new cobra oil filter adapter gasket ($5.99), but the old one is reusuable

The way the Mach 1oil filter adapter is machined, the coolant & oil is separated by metal & not an o-ring thats prone to failure.

Ike Turner

Established Member
can u explain more plz

Pics are worth 1000 words right :beer:

Mach 1 adapter/housing

mach1adapter_zpsa8d1aa25.jpg

Side by Side shot

oilfilteradaptercomparison_zps885c9936.jpg

Notice the Mach 1 part completely separates the oil & coolant. The way it is machined, its nearly impossible for them to mix again. It would leak on the ground first.

I bought the Mach 1 piece from a forum member (damn good deal too!)
Went to local parts house & purchased 2 gallons of coolant (I swapped my water pump also at this time, because it was leaking), new cobra oil filter
adapter gasket ($5.99 old one can be reused though), 03-04 Mach 1 lower radiator hose ($8.99, this goes from the thermostat to the new adapter), and a new oil filter (might as well swap it since you're right there lol).

Install it all, berp coolant system, & enjoy your car with no more oil/coolant mixing :coolman:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread