99 Cobra loss of power!!!! HELP!!!!

PotatoC570

Established Member
Morning SVT...again...

I have a 99 Cobra I have worked out all the kinks since the rebuild, I have about 600 miles on the motor now. I have been driving it back an fourth to work. However, yesterday on my way home I was cruising highway speeds and my motor seem quiet, I lost all power. I coasted to a stop and got a tow. When I got home I restarted the motor and it was running super rough and would stall in seconds. I took a laser thermometer and measured the manifolds, the whole driver side of the engine was 75 to 80 degrees, as opposed to the passenger side where I would see temps of 100 to 200 degrees for those few seconds it would run. I checked all fuses and relays. Since there is 2 ignition relays, and 1 starter/ignition relay that are all the same. I am going to pick up a new one today since 2 of the 3 seem to work just fine. I have brand new plugs but the car itself has 90500 on the odometer. Is there anything I should look at if the relay does not work? I assume it is a relay because the it is one whole side of the motor, and it suddenly happened it is not like it was a hit or miss thing.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's really weird. Did you check the plugs on the harness? Maybe something wasn't locked in all the way and popped loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PotatoC570

Established Member
That's really weird. Did you check the plugs on the harness? Maybe something wasn't locked in all the way and popped loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I went home last night and checked. I have spark going to all the plugs, I also smell raw fuel dumping in. So that would leave air, is there a possibility that the MAF or TPS just quit?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I don't think either of those problems would only affect one bank of the motor. Maybe cam timing on that side? If you have spark and fuel I'd start with a compression check on that bank.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A MAF or TPS would affect all cylinders. Not just one bank. I would think cam timing, but if it ran for 600 miles I would think it's ok. That's not to say it couldn't have jumped a tooth or something. That's not something I've personally seen, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Were the plugs wet when you pulled them out?

PotatoC570

Established Member
It is really hard to tell which one are firing and which are not even if that is the case. When I pulled the plug and turned it over it started up every single time. I went through all 8 and they all had spark and you can hear the pistons "popping" with the air pushing out. If it was a timing issue would it not knock or tick because of it being a 32 valve interference motor. The plug were wet when I pulled them out to check spark. It will start, run for a few seconds, I can put my foot to the floor and nothing happens. It does not respond to full throttle what so ever.

01yellercobra

Established Member
How did you check the spark? Usually if the plug is wet it's a sign there's no spark.

Or....I wonder if your FRPS blew? When I had one blow the car run like crap, was hard to start, and I could smell the gas. It might be worth pulling the FRPS and seeing if you can blow through the vacuum port.

PotatoC570

Established Member
How did you check the spark? Usually if the plug is wet it's a sign there's no spark.

Or....I wonder if your FRPS blew? When I had one blow the car run like crap, was hard to start, and I could smell the gas. It might be worth pulling the FRPS and seeing if you can blow through the vacuum port.
I put pulled one spark plug at a time, plugged it into the coil pack and rested it on the engine, as I cranked my step dad watched and saw that all 8 had spark.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
compression test will tell alot about the problem.... sounds like it may have jumped time due to cam bolt or something backing out

Users who are viewing this thread