99 cobra knocking noise

99SVTCOBRA!

Established Member
Hey guys! Well I hate to get on here with bad news but I believe my cobra has finally seen its last day as original. My car has started this ticking noise. When the car first starts it sounds like a lifter then goes away. Then about 1900 rpms it starts a loud rattle or knock. The noise goes away at 2300 rpms. I changed the oil that very night. It was 2 quarts low and black like the car.
There was no metal shavings or anything in the oil or oil filter. Ford is telling me that its a rod bearing and that I'd be losing oil pressure. I haven't noticed any lose in power at all just that noise. The car has 171k original miles on it. Please help me guys

Shepp1691

Established Member
Id say you definitely want to get the pan off it before you break anything else. 171k miles is a good click. i spun a rod bearing in my camaro once by running it low on oil. have 117k on my cobra and been lucky with no engine problems.

Shepp1691

Established Member
well throw 7 qts of fresh thick oil in it and roll on, if a rod comes out the side, it will be easy to see whats broke lol

99SVTCOBRA!

Established Member
It's actually a 6 quart motor lol yeah that would for sure be one way to tell. I've been told its a piston but I'd think it would make the noise constantly

99SVTCOBRA!

Established Member
You were right. Svt actually says to put 7 quarts in. I've been doing 6 quarts for 171k miles. Noise is gone after adding extra quart yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread