99 cobra issues

PSYCHONUT21

Established Member
Ok guys I need some help if possible? I have a 99 cobra and i'm having issues with it going into reverse and 3rd. When I put it in reverse it will make a grinding sound but it won't do it every time. It will do it once when I first get in and won't happen again for about a week. And when it does start to grind is when I have issues getting it into 3rd it dont grind going into 3rd its just hard to shift into 3rd. I have not worked on manuals that much so any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

Shepp1691

Established Member
I have to let mine sit for a few seconds with the clutch in before I put it in reverse, just switch to a T56.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
If you have the factory clutch and cable in the car.. pull up on the clutch pedal to reset the tension on the cable. otherwise depending on the miles on the car... it may need a fluid change.

KooK

Established Member
Ive never heard of resetting the tension on the cable by pulling up on the peddle...

Yeah, it's kind of weird on these cars, I did that the last time I replaced a clutch in mine. When you put up on the clutch pedal you'll feel a few clicks as it sets itself in place. It's kind of a slick little system but it's pretty weak, which is why we need to replace it when we go with a heavier clutch.

Also, remember that most transmissions (T45 included) do not have a syncro for the reverse gear. This is why you need to be at a full stop in order to put it in reverse and every once in awhile you can gear it grind. Although it sounds like this issue is more with the forks/internals than anything.

Either way, how many miles are on this thing and has it been beat hard in the past?

shurur

Established Member
i have to let mine sit for a few seconds with the clutch in before i put it in reverse, just switch to a t56.

+1 and full stop.

But the 3rd gear part of your story sounds like something more is going on.
These t45 threads make me worry..

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
There is alittle trick to stop the reverse grind. Put it into 5th then into reverse and you should avoid the grind. If you are grinding in third and only third you have internal trans issues.

PSYCHONUT21

Established Member
Sorry it took so long to get back guys. Its original clutch and car has 130,000 on it. As for it going into 3rd it don't grind it just feels like its not wanting to go into gear its tough getting it into gear. But it only does it when I have issue getting into reverse. I will try that with the clutch pedal. I also noticed when i release the clutch im getting like a thud sound every now and then also.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Ive never heard of resetting the tension on the cable by pulling up on the peddle...

The factory components of the quadrant are two pieces. unlike the 1 piece metal one we replace it with... it has teeth that will help pull tension back on the cable... if you never replaced one... try to and see the difference.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member

or apparently how to spell the word pedal.

Tons of T45's don't like to go into reverse, it's just their nature unfortunately. As far as having third issues, I doubt that is related to the reverse issue. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? May be time for a new clutch, or cable, these cars are starting to get old and stock parts are definitely worn out at 130k. It could be a variety of things, but usually a fluid change is always where I start.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Just for grins, and because it's cheap, after you check the clutch pedal, take the shifter off, )about 8 bolts) and see if the little nylon bushing under the shift lever has disintegrated. As far as going into reverse, always through it into a forward gear (probably 5th) since it's closest to stop all the internals, then make the move to reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread