99 cobra IRS spring removal

Taverill24

Established Member
so i got new springs for my cobra, did the fronts first no problem. i went to do the rear and noticed its the independent rear suspension (im a new mustang owner) i cannot figure out how to take the link out that connects the sway bar to the control arm, does anyone know what to do? ive seen online that you can move the tank or something but it all seems alot more complex then it needs to be so if anyone has the dumb guy advice, PLEASE help this dumb guy out!

blacksheep-1

Established Member
No, unhook the shock, remove the bolts that goes through the subframe and lower the irs cradle just far enough to let the spring out

blacksheep-1

Established Member
no the sway bar is attached to the cradle, you don't even have to touch it, Just place the jack under the irs pumpkin and lower it, there's probably enough give in the exhaust to make it work. You may have to unhook the rubber mounts that hold the exhaust on. the irs is really only held in by 4 bolts, 2 that go where the lower control arms bolt on in the stick axle and another 2 that attach to where the "quad shock" mount goes. There's the shocks and brake hydraulic lines and e-brake cables. there's not much to it.

zPipes

Established Member
I have to take my exuast off from the midpipe to drop my IRS. But like he says.. its real simple. The whole IRS is held on by 4 bolts. Take the two rear ones out, it will swing down, springs fall out.(and unbolt the shocks of course) I don't use the pumpkin myself tho, I use the mount. Keep updated.

1999marg

Established Member
When you jack the rear of the car up and both wheels are off the ground the springs are still under compression. You may be able to use a spring compressor but you will need to disconnect the rear sway bar.

I would not do it that way. Go to the MM “instructions” page on their website. Look for the “subframe removal PDF. It will give you a blow by blow description.
• Remove exhaust
• Remove driveshaft (mark (index) it before you remove it. That why you will not have any vibration issues)
• Loosen front subframe bolts (do not remove)
• Place jack under diff (see photos in the MM pdf)
• Slowly snug up jack to diff body taking the weight off of the
• Remove the two rear subframe supports
• Slowly release jack
• Springs will release have a friend pick them out (pay attention to the top perch orientation take a picture with your phone of each spring
• Swap isolators or put new ones on
• Install the springs in the same orientation
• Jack the diff up and guide rear subframe supports into the support cradle (see photos)
• Install bolts
• Do everything else in reverse

The MM pdf is great it gives you the torque values. It is not a bad job if you are proficient with hand tools. Support the car per the PDF. Hope this helps. Maybe one of the guys has done it with a spring compressor???

Last edited by a moderator:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
No need to remove the exhaust or mess w/the driveshaft - at most you would just remove the rubber exhaust hangers that are near the cradle (what I had to do). Just place a jack under the pumpkin, loosen the bolts and let the cradle come down a bit at a time, check for the enough room to get the springs out, loosen as needed until they're out. Having a spring compressor helps a lot, I recommend using one.

Users who are viewing this thread