99 Cobra IRS spindle HELP!!

95_Slowbra

Established Member
I am in desperate need of help. I purchased a 99 Cobra IRS for my 95 Cobra and I am with a $XX00 paperweight. I bought all new bushing from MM and the BF brace. I also picked up a Hard Launch Brace, 31 spline Diff & 04 half-shafts, Borla, H&R Race Springs, Bilstiens on all 4 corners, and all Front & Back Bumpsteer and Tie rod kits. Here is the problem.. My spindles for the 99 IRS are the non recalled version, hence when I went back to buy the Cross Axis joint from MM, I saw the warning and looked at the pictures and little behold I have the non recalled ones. My Cross Axis bushings are toast, and need to be replaced. I looked into FTBR and they said theirs were a no go aswell. What is the difference between Recalled version and Non-Recalled version of these spindles exactly? Ford has given me the middle finger and refuses to help. Can I machine my spindles to the new style parameters? I do not want to spend $616 a side for spindles... If anyone has any input on where to get cheap spindles, or if I am able to machine mine to match? Please and thanks.
:??: :bash:

OW99

Established Member
Take it to a machine shop and see what they can do. If they can't get it to work, try eBay. I'm sure someone on eBay will have them cheaper than $616.

95_Slowbra

Established Member
They are $250 a side and look nasty as shit. Is there a good way to clean them to make them look halfway decent if I did end up having to go that route?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
From the .pdf on the Maximum Motorsports website, it looks like both sides of the area that accepts the cross axis joint were simply machined down to make room for the flange and retaining ring that is on the new style cross axis joint. If you took your spindles to a machine shop and showed them a copy of the .pdf from MM, I am sure a reputable shop could take care of that for you for a lot less than $500 for a used pair of spindles off eBay.

RioSnake

Twisty SVT Cobra
Established Member
Looks like FTBR put up the knuckles either new or a complete refurb for $775 for both sides, not too shabby there.

I was looking at them until I realized that my car hasn't had the recall done on it :banana: I'll let Ford fix mine! Now if I could only keep the rest of the car together. Hope this helps!

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The MM cross axis joints are $379.00, and once you find a machine shop to do the work you could be out what, maybe another $100 or more depending on how many hours you get hit for. Going the FTBR route and just getting everything completely brand new might be a good option. With their kit you're also getting new axle nuts and mounting hardware.

shurur

Established Member
The MM cross axis joints are $379.00, and once you find a machine shop to do the work you could be out what, maybe another $100 or more depending on how many hours you get hit for. Going the FTBR route and just getting everything completely brand new might be a good option. With their kit you're also getting new axle nuts and mounting hardware.

I agree with soccerman002. And since FTBR doesn't even take the unrecalled '99 spindles as a core return, I doubt machining will help them, as he would probably take them if they were machinable. I'm guessing machining makes the width of the knuckle too thin. The new knuckles look beefier, like they have more circumferance as well. Call FTBR.

I'm probably not sporting the recalled spindles as well..good luck.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I have some off of my '01 I'd sell. PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread