99 Cobra Convertible springs and exhaust

ijg4503

Hello, I have a 99 Cobra Convertible. I am a newbie on this site and have researched as much as I can on this subject, but still have not found the exact answers that I am looking for. I plan to have a local shop replace the infamous worn out IRS differential bushings. I am contemplating whether or not to have them install lowering springs and a catback while they have the car in the air. They have a set of (03-04 Cobra) 223-9004 Steeda springs and an (03-04 Cobra) 4603C-5 Bassani SS catback. My dilemma is figuring out if there is enough of a spring rate difference between the 99 and 03-04 springs that would cause me an issue. I know that the 03-04 nose weighs a bit more than my 99, but is it significant enough to cause me any issues? I want the 1.25" drop that Steeda advertises for the 03-04 springs. I assume the Convertible adds extra weight in the rear that the coupe doesn't have. Regarding the exhaust, I called Bassani and the customer service rep. stated that the 03-04 exhaust would fit on a 99. The only difference is the muffler internals (03-04 = 3" & 99 = 2.5") and the exhaust tips (03-04 = 4.5" & 99 = 3.5"). So, in theory the 03-04 exhaust should be more free-flowing = little power bump. The shop has had the springs and exhaust laying around new in boxes for a few years and are asking $250 for the springs & $500 for the exhaust.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

ijg4503

ijg4503

No labor included. Labor is $80/hr. $200 for springs and nothing for the exhaust since it has to be pulled to replace the diff. bushings. Diff. bushing is estimated at ~$240 if they don't have to pull the entire IRS to get at them.

Thanks,

ijg4503

zPipes

Established Member
Well in regards to bigger exhaust, on a 99-01 NA car, bigger is not better. I believe by freeing up that exhaust you will lose low end torque and gain a little high end hp. But since its only at the end of the exhaust maybe it should be fine? I guess its not like your opening it all up. Would need more expert opinions on that.

For the springs, coupe springs do not work on a vert. Also those you put up are specifically for the 03-04 I would not use them on a 99-01. If you don't want to buy a set of springs, have them cut your stock springs. They are linear so you will have no problems. There is a thread all about cutting stock springs.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread