99 Cobra continued issues.

PotatoC570

Established Member
I am having issues with my 99 cobra. About a week ago I lost all power to the engine and had to get towed. I have 400 miles on my rebuild after getting the kinks worked out of it.

Now I was able to get a reader from my friend and I threw code P0340 which is a cam position sensor code. I replaced the sensor, cleared the code. The car will start and run if I have my foot the the floor but then the RPM goes from 1000 to 2000 and back down to one, almost like I have a huge lumpy cam in it. But, I do not sadly and it is just running poorly. The code says it could be anywhere from a sensor to wiring to the PCM. I pulled up the handy inter-webs and I found out that there is a known issue that an out of phase alternator could cause enough interference to cause the cam sensor to get all out of wack. If this is the case, should I take the belt off and run the car to see it happens, or unplug the 3 pin connector on the top of the alternator itself? I do not want to spend 190$ on an alternator for it not to be the issue.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you ever pull the FRPS and check it? I've never heard of an alternator affecting the cam sensor on these cars.

PotatoC570

Established Member
Did you ever pull the FRPS and check it? I've never heard of an alternator affecting the cam sensor on these cars.
No, I did not. But, why would the FRPS throw code P0304? Would it not throw its own code? The only engine code I have is because of the cam sensor issue. If I take it off how do I test it?

01yellercobra

Established Member
No, I did not. But, why would the FRPS throw code P0304? Would it not throw its own code? The only engine code I have is because of the cam sensor issue. If I take it off how do I test it?
Because electric gremlins can be weird. My wife's 06 GT will throw a cam sensor code when the alternator dies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PotatoC570

Established Member
Because electric gremlins can be weird. My wife's 06 GT will throw a cam sensor code when the alternator dies.

So how do I check the FRPS when I go home?

Also, I posted those links for you to read.

PotatoC570

Established Member

The alternator thing did not work, it still acts up. Still have the cam code, how do I check the FRPS.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Posted in your other thread.

How did you check the spark? Usually if the plug is wet it's a sign there's no spark.

Or....I wonder if your FRPS blew? When I had one blow the car run like crap, was hard to start, and I could smell the gas. It might be worth pulling the FRPS and seeing if you can blow through the vacuum port.

Users who are viewing this thread