99 Cobra clutch differences?? (TOB)

ChadS98GT

Established Member
My car is a daily driven cobra with some basic boltons about 300rwhp

My TOB is shot and I figured while I am in there replacing that I will replace the clutch as well.

I was thinking of doing a King Cobra clutch, but I was reading on www.gefracing.com and their description said it would work on pretty much any mustang except a 99 Cobra. why??

What clutch should I get ??

Also What TOB are you guys using successfully? I don't want it going out 1k miles after I put it in.....

thanks in advance. :rockon:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
as far as I know, there are no differences beside the tranny model number.

the 99 cobra comes with an 11 inch clutch, and flywheel, so I don't see why you couldn't use it. Id probably go with a spec stage 1 though.

if you get the spec piece, don't use the spec tob. Use a ford one, or a timken one from a parts store.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I put a centerforce DFC in mine. I love it. It grabs hard as hell at the track. Few people I know have it in the 03 Cobras making 500+ hp and it still does fine.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Sweet, good info in this thread. I need to do my TOB also, it's making a metal on metal sound. Not good.

I'd also like some advice on what clutch to buy. It has to be completely streetable because it's gonna be in there for several years, what with the low mileage I drive. My HP dreams might get me to 350RWHP some day.

What about a lightweight flywheel? Something that's good for aggerssive street driving (but probably no track time)? I heard the stocker is like 28 lbs? How light is too light? I don't want to be stalling at a traffic light, or when the AC kicks on....

01yellercobra

Established Member
The flywheel won't cause your engine to stall at a stoplight when the A/C comes on. The lighter flywheel will allow your motor to rev faster, but you might have to rev a little higher to get rolling from a stop. The heavier flywheel stores more energy and helps get the car moving. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Users who are viewing this thread