99 cobra bottom end??? how good is it??

Flavio85

Established Member
My 1-year goal is to have my 99 cobra supercharged or rebuilt. Eventually i wanna have both done. I am not sure what to do frist. It can get pretty expensive to have the motor built with all forged internals. I am wondering if the 99 cobras have a strong bottom end??? If it does, i wanna leave as is and see I can get away with a pair of nice heads and a nice high lift camshaft kit, like the ones ford racing has to offer. Put some headers on, clutch and flywheel and then save some money for the blower. I dont know if I should just slap a blower in there first cause the car already has 78,xxx miles on it. Plus i dont think i should rebuild the motor now because it is still running great. The ultimate goal is to have the cobra doing at least 500rwhp/tq. I dont want any faster than that. What do you guys think isthe way to go?? Any suggestions?? Btw current numbers are 303rwhp and 302rwtq and the performance mods are:

4.10 frpp gears w/ 8.8in motive bearing kit
JLT intake
BP underdrive pullies
BBK twin 65mm throttle body
SLP1 exhaust
UPR o/r x-pipe
steeda tri-ax
coil-over springs
xcal 3
R1 concept cross-drilled rotors w/ hawks ceramic pads

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
A few things. Search is your friend, but..

99/01 bottom ends are pretty weak with our 'hyperpathetic' rods/pistons. You may be able to squeeze out 450rwhp +/- on the stock bottom end, but there's no telling how long it will last. The best thing to do would be to build it before supercharging it. Also, your underdrive pullies need to go when you do supercharge the car.

Tremor

NO MERCY
OP

500rwhp is a good amount of power.

-How much money are you willing to spend on your project ?
-Some things you will need for 500rwhp
-Beef up rear and IRS
-Suspension and some good tires to plant all that power.

It will not be cheap to do, and you will have some down time.

But you could always trade in for an 03/04 with this market and call it a day.

I have seen 600hp 03/04 Cobras with Whipples go as low as 22k with under 40k miles.

This is a great market to upgrade staright up for power.

-Jose

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
if ur gonna go forced induction, in my opinion deff build it... not gonna be able to run a lot of boost w/ those stock insides. you will regret it in the long run... so i think its worth to spend a bit of money to end up saving your ride. Im doin mine right now. its not too bad, but its gonna cost some dough.

tistan

Established Member
Is it your daily driver? If not buy a dd before you add a blower or built motor. If it isn't your dd slap a blower on it and drive it until the motor goes. 450 rwhp will keep you happy for a little while.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
the classified are your friend! many good deals to be found. take your time and build a sound beast that will last a bit

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Is it your daily driver? If not buy a dd before you add a blower or built motor. If it isn't your dd slap a blower on it and drive it until the motor goes. 450 rwhp will keep you happy for a little while.

And take a chance of snapping a rod and trashing his block too.. I'm a firm believer that it should be done right the first time. A car that is constantly broken is no fun to own.

tistan

Established Member
You can buy a used block all day long for $200-300. I don't see where it is a real big deal if you grenade the block.

Flavio85

Established Member
OP

500rwhp is a good amount of power.

-How much money are you willing to spend on your project ?
-Some things you will need for 500rwhp
-Beef up rear and IRS
-Suspension and some good tires to plant all that power.

It will not be cheap to do, and you will have some down time.

But you could always trade in for an 03/04 with this market and call it a day.

I have seen 600hp 03/04 Cobras with Whipples go as low as 22k with under 40k miles.

This is a great market to upgrade staright up for power.

-Jose

I have been looking at some terminators, the deals are there but the question is do I want to get into years of financing??? I am not sure if i want to. But again if I had a terminator I would just have to upgrade the blower, beef up the suspension a bit, a few bolts and call it quits. I am thinking with 15K i should be able to build the motor the way I want, supercharger with a procharger or something and beef up the suspension. what you think??

Flavio85

Established Member

I just recently bought a 94 honda del sol. Its great on gas, over 30 mpg...

tistan

Established Member
You can build a low compression shortblock for $3-4000 and gain no horsepower, or you can spend $3-5k putting a blower on it and have 400-500 rwhp to play with while you save up for a built motor. If the block last that's great. If doesn't last your only out a couple hundred bucks for a lot of fun in return. We all know while you have the motor out you don't just stop with the shortblock. You are going to want to do ported heads, cams, and ported intake which will make a built motor project jump up into the $6-8000 range.

Tremor

NO MERCY
I have been looking at some terminators, the deals are there but the question is do I want to get into years of financing??? I am not sure if i want to. But again if I had a terminator I would just have to upgrade the blower, beef up the suspension a bit, a few bolts and call it quits. I am thinking with 15K i should be able to build the motor the way I want, supercharger with a procharger or something and beef up the suspension. what you think??

Flavio85

If you want to play with the big boys its going to cost you. Its a great thing to build up your cobra like you want. But this market has deals that were not around when i started my build. I advice you to take advantage of whats out there.

Here are some nice 03/04's for sale

23k Whipple 589rwhp Cobra

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...4/596689-wts-04-torch-red-whippled-cobra.html

580rwhp KB 23K

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...y-cobra-lots-o-mods-including-kenne-bell.html

Sale yours and offer these guys 20k and your done :rockon:

If you do decide to build yours. Please take your time and do some research.

-Jose

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Personally, I'd keep my cobra and build it but that's because I have mods terminators don't have like MM kmember, bruce's IRS fix, HDT56 etc.. Depends on what you have to start with.

If your cobra is pretty much stock or you dont mind losing your A$$ on the mods you have done to it and you have enough cash after selling it combined with the $$ you have now to buy an 03/04 outright then that may be a good option. It'd stink to have to make payments when you don't now.

Users who are viewing this thread