99 cobra bad transmission noises

Camino90

Established Member
ok so i launched my car a couple times the other day and then when i was driving home i could barely get it to shift in and out of gear. it took a lot of force to do it. so i parked it cause it was late. looked at it in the morning and noticed when it is running and it is in neutral it makes no noises wether the clutch is engaged or not. but when u start to put it into any gear and when it is in gear it makes a metalic rubbing noise almost like a whine. then when u start to engage the clutch is makes a really bad rubbing noise and then it seems to go away once the clutch is fully engaged and rolling.

could this be something damaged with the pressure plate or is it something internal. also i couldnt get it to go into reverse, it would just grind. any input would be useful. i am gonna pull the trans shortly and gonna try to fix it myself if possible. thanx

Camino90

Established Member
i wanna say that it shifts fine when the engine is off but i will have to double check in the morning and let u know. would that mean there is something wrong with the clutch? thanx again for the input

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Generally if you can freely shift into all gears with the engine off it is a clutch, throwout bearing, or shift arm failure. Get the car in the air and pull the inspection cover on the bellhousing. Have someone work the clutch while you observe with a flashlight. See if anything looks odd. If it is a clutch going you want to catch it now as if it is too late, it could grenade. Not trying to scare you but it happen to me, took out the bellhousing too. Check back with your findings!:beer:

Camino90

Established Member
i checked it and it will shift into all the gears even reverse when the engine is off. i will be putting it on the lift soon and lookin through that inspection cover if i have one. i heard that is a 3650 thing not a t45. we will see. thanx again guys

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The fact that it doesn't make noise when in neutral, clutch pedal in or out, is an indicator that the TOB isn't noisy. Since it's difficult to get into gear the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. Grinding getting into reverse is also a good indication since our reverses do not have synchros.

The metallic rubbing noise when you put it in gear and start engaging the clutch makes me guess that it's time for a new clutch. While in there I suggest new TOB, pilot bearing, and checking the pivot ball and clutch fork for wear. Top two bellhousing bolts and the top starter bolt are the worst. After getting them off the rest is pretty easy.

The "metalic rubbing noise almost like a whine" sure sounds like your tob is about to have its coming out party. Better hope your clutch fork and tob retainer sleeve isn't getting completely trashed. I've had this happen to me. Also, while you have the tranny out just make sure you also replace the rear main seal while you are at it. They suck and leak in little time. Should have replaced mine when the clutch was replaced and now I have the cobra dripping a big drop of oil every day from that valley.

Camino90

Established Member
ya i was planning on replacing the rear seal as it is already leaking haha. but thanks for the input guys. when i get it apart ill try and take some pics and put em up for u guys to look at. thanks again

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I had this same problem about a week ago. Went on vacation and finally got home and looked at it today. When it went, I was in the middle of banging second felt a pop and the clutch went away. Turns out the Ram HDX clutch I put in less than a year ago with less than 6 months driving and 5k miles (engine blew up shortly after) had a disk failure. Some of the lining material sheered off of the disk. I'm hoping it didn't tear up the pressure plate or flywheel and I just have to put in a new disk.

Camino90

Established Member
finally looked in the inspection cover and found a lot of clutch particles and chunks haha. parts r on the way from AM gonna put it on the lift later today and start teardown. wish me luck.

Camino90

Established Member
well i got it all in! the clutch feels awesome, nice and firm! i ended up makin a last minute trip to a ford dealership 2 hours from my house for a clutch fork cause when i went to put the original in i found the spring tab broke for the pivot ball. i called the local dealership and they told me the part was disconntinued and they were on back order till 2021 lol. so i did some callin around and eventually found one. you guys were right, i should have just bought one from AM but oh well haha. besides that everything came out and went in smoothly.

i have one more question about the clutch adjuster. do you just pull back on the pedal and then it is adjusted? just wanna make sure it is engaging all the way so i dont prematurely fry the clutch.

Thanx again for all the input guys! definately helped me out a lot. this is one of the best forums out there. we have an awesome community here at SVT!!!

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
well i got it all in! the clutch feels awesome, nice and firm! i ended up makin a last minute trip to a ford dealership 2 hours from my house for a clutch fork cause when i went to put the original in i found the spring tab broke for the pivot ball. i called the local dealership and they told me the part was disconntinued and they were on back order till 2021 lol. so i did some callin around and eventually found one. you guys were right, i should have just bought one from AM but oh well haha. besides that everything came out and went in smoothly.

i have one more question about the clutch adjuster. do you just pull back on the pedal and then it is adjusted? just wanna make sure it is engaging all the way so i dont prematurely fry the clutch.

Thanx again for all the input guys! definately helped me out a lot. this is one of the best forums out there. we have an awesome community here at SVT!!!

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I would like to know this as well. Just did my clutch and the pedal vibrated a little bit since it has about .25" of play before actually making the clutch move. Maybe this is from all of the ratcheting I was doing with the adjuster pedal thing?

Camino90

Established Member
no its cool man. i had messed with the ratcheting adjuster a lot to when i was tryin to hook the cable up to the fork. i was tryin to make it as long as possible so i could get it in the hole "thats what she said" lol. but i just used a pry bar instead cause it wouldnt reach.

Users who are viewing this thread