99 Cobra Alternator change?

DarkRattle

Established Member
I don't consider myself a "Godfather" at all. Slo has posted up a lot more helpful info than I have. There are times I miss my '99 -- I liked the handling more than my '03. But I really like the >2X RWHP of the '03!!!
What a coincidence, I like the handling of my 99 more than my '17. What's different with the suspension with the terminator and 99?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What a coincidence, I like the handling of my 99 more than my '17. What's different with the suspension with the terminator and 99?

It's mostly about the extra weight over the front end with the 03/04. Iron block, supercharger, extra coolant, etc. It all adds up. That's why I did the K member and stuff to my 04. Trying to lighten things up a little bit.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't consider myself a "Godfather" at all. Slo has posted up a lot more helpful info than I have. There are times I miss my '99 -- I liked the handling more than my '03. But I really like the >2X RWHP of the '03!!!

When you break more parts than most you tend to learn things.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It's mostly about the extra weight over the front end with the 03/04. Iron block, supercharger, extra coolant, etc. It all adds up. That's why I did the K member and stuff to my 04. Trying to lighten things up a little bit.
Agreed on the extra weight on the front end. I wish I could have kept the Teksid block. So has the K member (& stuff) swap resulted in any noticeable handling difference w/your '04?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Agreed on the extra weight on the front end. I wish I could have kept the Teksid block. So has the K member (& stuff) swap resulted in any noticeable handling difference w/your '04?
I can't really give an apples to apples comparison. When I did the K member I also replaced inner and outer tie rods as well doing the rear coil overs. And I lowered it a little more than the H&R race springs had it. I can say it handles really well and I'm very glad I did the coilovers. It rides nice and can still handle the turns with little issue.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DarkRattle

Established Member
Guys I went full retard and forgot when connecting battery back its positive and then negative, so obviously did the opposite, the battery terminal started smoking for a bit then I quickly removed it, what damage did that do? I can't jump the darn thing at all.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It honestly doesn't matter which one you connect first. Supposedly connecting negative last causes less spark, but I've seen just as many sparks that way as connecting positive last.

My guess is you have something shorted. You're probably going to have to follow the harness. The cable that connects to the big terminal on the alternator is covered and not touching anything correct?

DarkRattle

Established Member
It honestly doesn't matter which one you connect first. Supposedly connecting negative last causes less spark, but I've seen just as many sparks that way as connecting positive last.

My guess is you have something shorted. You're probably going to have to follow the harness. The cable that connects to the big terminal on the alternator is covered and not touching anything correct?

Well I think it's just because the battery is now completely empty since again the new alternator is not yet connected.

EDIT: well if you said it doesn't matter which you plug in, then how could it have shorted anything? It smoked for like a second when i put positive on battery but I removed it instantly. How long does it take to jump a completely dead battery on one of these.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I agree that it doesn't matter which you connect first. The risk is that if you connect the ground first and the still disconnected positive cable is touching ground you'll see sparks.

A completely dead battery will need to get some amount of charge before there is enough energy to start a car. That's why, at times, you need to keep the "jump car" running w/the cables connected for a while before the car w/the dead battery can start.

If you can, just swap the batteries and see if your car will start. That will take the dead battery out of the equation.

DarkRattle

Established Member
Guys please help I got EVERYTHING unbolted alternator is fully loose but theres no fricken room to remove it, I turned it upside down , to the side theres no way, those two brackets that hold in the clamp wont let it come from top and the pulley on the alternator wont let it come from bottom... thank you ford... once again... can someone tell me how the heck they got their alternators out?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know I was able to get it out with the crossover in place, but I had the Procharger crossover. I don't think I ever did it with the stock piece. You might have to remove the crossover.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I didn't remove the crossover when I replaced the regulator in the alternator. Did you remove the bolts that hold the brackets in place? I'm pretty sure that you just have to slide some stuff and make clearance.

DarkRattle

Established Member
I didn't remove the crossover when I replaced the regulator in the alternator. Did you remove the bolts that hold the brackets in place? I'm pretty sure that you just have to slide some stuff and make clearance.
Of course it's completely free theres just NO ROOM to remove it, hell I even removed the coolant hose and splashed my self in the face still absolutely no room, heres the pic

nyq6hJA.png

DarkRattle

Established Member
I know I was able to get it out with the crossover in place, but I had the Procharger crossover. I don't think I ever did it with the stock piece. You might have to remove the crossover.

how do you remove it? There was no bolts or anything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
See those two studs? There are nuts on them that hold the crossover down. Remove those and pull up.

Can you drop the alternator down?
83989453d66e813e934cb4b97571faf7.jpg

DarkRattle

Established Member
See those two studs? There are nuts on them that hold the crossover down. Remove those and pull up.

Can you drop the alternator down?View attachment 1451699

No way I can drop it down (from the picture you can see that's what I'm trying xD), it's that easy? Just remove the two nuts? Also I'm confused theres no nut on the left side circle? That left side stud is a shadow.

EDIT: Yeah just checked only right side has a nut (doesn't look like it has to do with the crossover though). Man I'm really confused...

Last edited:

DarkRattle

Established Member
I'm thinking if I remove pump pulley I can slide it from bottom... btw I spilled a lot of coolant on the belt how big of a problem is this? Can i go to carwash and rinse it off? So I tried breaker barring the pulley bolts off, no way, I'll order an impact wrench and hope to god that takes it off. Whoever torqued the bolts on the water pulley definitely impacted it way over tightened, I just hope an 18v devalt 3/8 can take it off.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
What if you return the alternator to the upright position and then rotate it (looking down from the top) clockwise a little. Will it clear the mounting tabs? The only time I removed my coolant crossover was to replace it since my original was quite rusty.
Coolant on the belt isn't a big issue but rinsing it off is a good idea.
If going the route to take the water pump pulley off, did you temporarily bolt the alternator back in place to put the belt back on? Breaking the water pump pulley bolts loose is a lot easier w/the belt on. I then used a square shaft screw driver between opposing bolts to prevent spinning. Break them all loose before removing any of them.
And since some coolant was released, make sure you burp your system properly. There's a good write up in the forum. Since you need to burp the system anyway, consider just pulling the crossover now for the alternator replacement. I hope you get it going soon!

DarkRattle

Established Member
What if you return the alternator to the upright position and then rotate it (looking down from the top) clockwise a little. Will it clear the mounting tabs? The only time I removed my coolant crossover was to replace it since my original was quite rusty.
Coolant on the belt isn't a big issue but rinsing it off is a good idea.
If going the route to take the water pump pulley off, did you temporarily bolt the alternator back in place to put the belt back on? Breaking the water pump pulley bolts loose is a lot easier w/the belt on. I then used a square shaft screw driver between opposing bolts to prevent spinning. Break them all loose before removing any of them.
And since some coolant was released, make sure you burp your system properly. There's a good write up in the forum. Since you need to burp the system anyway, consider just pulling the crossover now for the alternator replacement. I hope you get it going soon!
just looking at the crossover I think I don't wana mess with it lol, I already broke some electrical clip with a screw driver trying to unplug it (still on somehow atleast haha). I think I'll just impact the water pump pulley off and slide it down, but thanks a lot for all your suggestions man I really appreciate it. And yeah there was no way everyway you're explaining I tried, there's just no way for it to slide out. I'll do a whole flush of the coolant later, for some reason the coolant is green, isn't motorcraft orange?

Users who are viewing this thread