99-04 Mustang Parking brake problem/dragging caliper. Need Help!

WNRacing

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been dealing with this for what seems like forever and just can't find any answers. Sometime probably 2-3 years ago I started hearing a dragging sound from the rear passenger side of the car, hearing this I stopped driving the car immediately and started tearing into it trying to figure out what the problem was. I ended up replacing the axle bearing and the sound was still there. After driving the car for a couple of days trying to diagnose the problem I noticed that there was a groove appearing in the rotor so I replaced the caliper, rotor, and pads bleeding the brakes at the same time. Sound was still there.. Ended up disconnecting the parking brake cable and boom, problem was gone.

Finally this week while upgrading to cobra rear brakes I put new OEM cables (left and right) on and guess what?... It's still dragging.

I'm at a loss.. My parking brake has plenty of tension, no slack at all. I've researched this for quite a while now and the only conclusion that I can come up with is that my parking brake is too tight and just simply not allowing the caliper to fully disengage. There has to be some way to adjust some tension out of the parking brake right?

All help would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you. :bowdown:

WNRacing

Established Member
Seen that one a few times, I believe it's actually for an 05+ car. I appreciate the reply though.

Hoping I figured out the issue, we'll find out tonight.

WNRacing

Established Member
are you sure its not that metal dust caliper cover or whatever its called that just needs to be bent out a little?

Are you talking about the dust shield behind the rotor? If that's what you're referring to, they're brand new & have more than enough clearance.

Last edited:

frijol79

Established Member
I had similar issue with my 03 Mach 1. I had to replace clutch disks in my differential. Which cause my rotors to rub on my brake bracket. Wheel had some play when I pulled and pushed on it while on jack stands.

WNRacing

Established Member
I had similar issue with my 03 Mach 1. I had to replace clutch disks in my differential. Which cause my rotors to rub on my brake bracket. Wheel had some play when I pulled and pushed on it while on jack stands.

Everything in the rear end was replaced this weekend. Differential, bearings, axles, etc.. Thanks for the info though.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Everything in the rear end was replaced this weekend. Differential, bearings, axles, etc.. Thanks for the info though.

I had a problem with mine too but ignored it for the longest time and then I bought a complete axle from a low mileage Mach 1 and the noise went away. I too had replaced the rotors, and calipers and never got any relief. I never figured out what it was but if I had to guess I would say that the axle was bent slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread