99-01 Taillight swap with additional ?'s

redrocket16

Established Member
First off thanks for looking. I have a '96 terminated cobra where we used the entire 03-04 wiring harness during the swap. I have a set of export taillights (99-01 taillights but for 96-98 body style) and the install is going to be the exact same as 99-01 taillights onto an 03-04.

My question is, I picked up a '01 taillight wiring harness thinking I would NEED this piece however seeing all the how to's stating to just cut and splice into the stock parts. Would using the 99-01 wiring harness make anything easier or will I still need to cut these items? Maybe just replace the flasher module under the dash and it will work?
The previous owner of the lights did leave me 2 bulbs with wiring to use so if all I would need is the extra bulb can I just use the pieces I already have instead of hacking up the 99-01 harness as well?

I hope I am explaining my project well enough I am just looking for any insight into if I should keep the 01 harness or resell that and just cut/splice into the factory one.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
As you have probably read, the difference is the yellow bulb, which is an additional circuit on the tail light harness. If the plugs from your 96 match the 99/01 plugs, use the harness, change out the flasher and see what happens. I'm a big fan of KISS principle.

redrocket16

Established Member
As you have probably read, the difference is the yellow bulb, which is an additional circuit on the tail light harness. If the plugs from your 96 match the 99/01 plugs, use the harness, change out the flasher and see what happens. I'm a big fan of KISS principle.

Thanks Mac. The car now has all 03-04 wiring in it but you're right on the KISS at this point. Either way I will need the flasher part and I can test it first. Any other thoughts on this for me to look into before taking the project on?

Users who are viewing this thread