99/01 cobra Vr 03/04 mach 1?

99cbra

Banned
don't know yet....I'm in flight school and am strictly banned from any type of racing....parachuting....extreem sports.....basically anything that can injure me. should have some nice 11 second slips once I go and adjust to this solid axle

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
im looking for a new mustang used under 20k what should i get mach or cobra or even gt what do you think? :pepper: :banana:

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
Mach 1 was designed for TRACK, Cobra was designed for TRACK RACING, GT was designed for ... dunno =x. best bet is a Mach 1. has a solid axle and couple diff things to the motor. i perfer my COBRA. has a nice ride and is quick =]

NXSVTCOBRA

PiMpOnAnR1 said:
im looking for a new mustang used under 20k what should i get mach or cobra or even gt what do you think? :pepper: :banana:

there is a mustang guy down here in miami with 3 mustangs for sale under 20k

he has:

2003 GT 500 miles for $14k
2003 Mach 1 1800 miles for 19.5k
and a 93 LX hatch completely restored w/ everything brand new for $8500

not sure if you're willing to travel down here to get one of them but they are in good shape

oh he also has a freshly built 89 or so notchback, chrome yellow, sharpened body lines on it 4 wheel disc brakes, dr's completely built and ported 347 stroker, everything you could imagine $15k...... and a s/c saleen vert for $21k

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
well basiclly i want to cruise around not track drag racing you know make it sound good and have not many problems and look great at the same time :rockon:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
PiMpOnAnR1 said:
well basiclly i want to cruise around not track drag racing you know make it sound good and have not many problems and look great at the same time :rockon:
The cobra is a really exclusive club in a much more refined vehicle. You will have loads more street recognition in a cobra than you will in a Mach 1, or at least thats how it is here.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
99cobrablack said:
The cobra is a really exclusive club in a much more refined vehicle. You will have loads more street recognition in a cobra than you will in a Mach 1, or at least thats how it is here.

That's exactly it- buy the cobra! If you talk to ppl that know anything about mustangs at all, they'll recogniize the Cobra nomenclature. Mach 1, however, prolly wont mean anything to them. Besides, IRS is far superior to a solid axle in all forms of driving aside from drag launches. You should take a ride in an IRS can, and a solid axle car, you'll notice a world of diference.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. I agree- don't even consider a GT, they are really hard to get decent numbers out of. Get something with a 4v head to it.

Buy a Cobra... you know you want to! hehe :)

99cbra

Banned
99cobrablack said:

WHOOOA not true....mach1 clubs are getting to be as big as cobra clubs and demand respect all the same.....305 horsepower is not to be taken lightly especially running 13.1's stock

99cbra

Banned
99/01 cobra's can be had very cheap at this point and time but the mach1 has the solid axle and better heads.....mach1 gets my vote. Besides it must be cool having the v6 symbols on the side and having people run you and not realize what you really are. I think cobra's intimidate a lot of people.....don't get me wrong I love my cobra to death......I'll get some pics up sometime soon here.....finally getting a little break

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
99cbra said:
WHOOOA not true....mach1 clubs are getting to be as big as cobra clubs and demand respect all the same.....305 horsepower is not to be taken lightly especially running 13.1's stock
thats not what I said at all, they might be getting as big as a cobra club, or even bigger. But I feel that the cobra is a more exclusive club. The Mach 1 is a fine piece, no doubt about it, but the cobra is is deff. more exclusive, seeing how not every Ford dealer can order you one in, just for an example.

03ZincRcode

Established Member
99cbra said:
stock for stock mach1 has got it.....13.1 vs a 13.5

i have been a loyal, and long time subscriber to car and driver magazine (5+yrs.). but i am begining to question either their test equipment, or their test drivers. if the mach 1 is supposedly faster then the 99-01 cobras, then why when they ( car & driver) tested the mach 1 in the december 2002 issue, could they only get a best 0-60 time of 5.2, and 1/4 mile 14.0@103? and in their july 2001 issue they tested a 01 cobra, and got a best 0-60 time of 4.8, and 1/4 mile 13.5@105? not only car & driver, but some other magazines, i have read, also has the cobra with a faster 1/4 mile time. Now i have read the MM&FF article where they got a 13.1 1/4 mile time out of the mach, but that is the only 1 i have seen, where the mach is faster. I am proud to say that i am a mach 1 owner, but i have yet to race a 99-01 cobra, or any cobra for that matter, so i dont know. is there anybody in here with a 99-01 cobra (stock), that has raced a 03-04 mach 1 (stock)? or vice versa?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
The Mach 1 is quicker. It makes just as much peak power, has a better power curve, is geared a bit better, and is more drag-race friendly with the live axle vs the IRS.

How much quicker/faster is up for debate. Probably 2-4 tenths or so.

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
03ZincRcode said:
i have been a loyal, and long time subscriber to car and driver magazine (5+yrs.). but i am begining to question either their test equipment, or their test drivers. if the mach 1 is supposedly faster then the 99-01 cobras, then why when they ( car & driver) tested the mach 1 in the december 2002 issue, could they only get a best 0-60 time of 5.2, and 1/4 mile 14.0@103? and in their july 2001 issue they tested a 01 cobra, and got a best 0-60 time of 4.8, and 1/4 mile 13.5@105? not only car & driver, but some other magazines, i have read, also has the cobra with a faster 1/4 mile time. Now i have read the MM&FF article where they got a 13.1 1/4 mile time out of the mach, but that is the only 1 i have seen, where the mach is faster. I am proud to say that i am a mach 1 owner, but i have yet to race a 99-01 cobra, or any cobra for that matter, so i dont know. is there anybody in here with a 99-01 cobra (stock), that has raced a 03-04 mach 1 (stock)? or vice versa?

yea i herd that too idk how they get better times with the mach when the cobra has more power

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Like Bob just posted.

The Machs seem to have been notoriously underrated powerwise - as are the 05 GTs (judging from 0-60 and 1/4 mile speeds and ETs). Higher compression than the 99/01 Cobras and I think they use the 03 heads. There really is no reason why they shouldn't make at least as much power as the N/A Cobras.

Even if the Mach doesn't make as much peak horsepower, they come close but have a better torque curve and those 3.55s help some, too, plus they're solid axle and a little lighter than we are.

Still love my Cobra. Those Snake badges on the fender and under the hood mean a lot to me.

Users who are viewing this thread